Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gutting Deer

Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

You can reach in there and get your fingers under the T.loin, and pull them out (cut slit behind rear "blade"). Admittedly less than surgical, but it works easier than it sounds. They work out easy.

We have done dozens of deer over the years both ways. The meat difference is very small. Very little if any backstrap inside the cage depending on size. Tenderloin on normal 85lb southern doe is what..maybe a 1 lb? If that. If you don't take it.

Of course I do admit I don't eat the organ meat.
I have all the beef liver I can hope to deal with in my lifetime, so I'm good on my favorite organ.

For what it's worth, over the years, the meat I see wasted the most, is two nice fat shoulders, with an explosive hole blown through them, and a billion bone fragments from at least one shot from some mega-blaster.
What saddens me, is how most consider THAT waste, as an expected acceptable loss, with a jolly pat on the back.
The local processor and I had the same discussion. He gets comlaints some times because the finished product is less weight than the hunter thought it should be.
He has to say "you basically ruined the shoulders?!.."
He swore he was going to start taking pictures.

Last edited by Dan480Man; 10-31-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
He's also missing the tenderloins by not gutting it. As well as the heart, now that is a fine piece of meat, when fried with taters and onions.
You would also be missing the rib meat. The rib meat gets ground. It is not tenderloin, but it is still meat that I do not want to waste.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Gutting the deer is the first step in preserving the meat and this is the reason we hunt. Why skip out on something that could ruin the deer. Also when gutting them you make sure that you've got a healthy deer. It takes what... a whole 5 minutes with a good sharp knife. I wouldnt take shortcuts here.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

the only time i gut my deer is if i need coyote bait. otherwise i do not. it does not hurt the meat. it does not make it taste any different and to me its not worth it. the tender loin isnt enough to fill a man up and ribs aint worth messing with eather. backstrap hams and shoulders do me just fine. we aint got the 200lb deer yall have up north and out west. no neck roast eather.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

He's also missing the tenderloins by not gutting it. As well as the heart, now that is a fine piece of meat, when fried with taters and onions.

nope, I am able to sneak in and get the tenderloins, as for the heart it is usually not there
Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Spike

i hang mine by the neck, make my cut from the rib cage down, and everythings exits itself. very quick and easy.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Spike

You can still get the Tenderloins out by either going in through the rib cage in the back or cutting going in through the top of the stomack without having to gut the animal.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I have always field dressed deer while they are on the ground . What is the advantage of hanging a deer and gutting it ?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Spike

Angry

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
We don't even gut our deer, just pull the hide down to the neck, and cut all meat off the bone. done, just like that
thats just not right i think thats f'n gay
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I start by cutting around the butt hole and spliting the pelvis bone, I then take the privates and follow the white hair all the way to the chest cavity on both sides, carefully not cutting the stomach open yet. I then take the blade and guide it with my index finger and open the belly up and move all intestines and crap off the side and pulling everything out. The butt should go with the instestines. I then open the diaphrm and reach up and pull the wind pipe out (cut if needed) and remove all vital organs. Get all blood out and ready to wash out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.