HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Scent Drags (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/333087-scent-drags.html)

rooking22 10-31-2010 04:27 PM

Scent Drags

Anyone had any luck with them what scents do you use most of the time?

BigDaddy12t 10-31-2010 04:56 PM

I have been using them for the past 6-7 years, and have NEVER had a deer come into my set following one. I am seriously thinking about never using scents again.

onion721 10-31-2010 05:38 PM

My very first buck with a bow came in on a Tinks69 trail.
I had a couple here and there, nothing worth noting.
This morning I had a coyote follow a HS Dominant buck trail past my stand, missed a 20 yard broadside shot :o
Sad thing is when he bolted through the thicket, he took some deer with him.

RangerJ 10-31-2010 06:10 PM

In 40 years of hunting I have had one doe follow a scent trail.But I have had countless dogs and coyotes follow my trail after using some type of scent.

Mojotex 10-31-2010 06:26 PM

I make my drag rag using pee from deer that I have killed. Not sure how well it works, but figure it does not hurt. I have done this for 40-45 years. Have had at least one extremely fine buck come in trailing the drag. Also have had a bobcat trail my drag all the way t the very bottom of my ladder stand. That was cool.

monkeyman2269 10-31-2010 07:38 PM

apple juice

hunt12ga 10-31-2010 07:46 PM

I have had Tinks 69 trails followed several times. I used to apply it at the truck and leave a trail all the way to the stand. I quickly changed this up when I had a buck cross my trail and follow it back towards the truck :(

I once had a decent buck chasing a doe stop when he got downwind of my Tink's bomb. The doe walked off and he hung out within bow range for a couple minutes sniffing the Tink's. I couldn't believe that he let the doe leave!

Just this morning I had a basket rack cut my Tink's trail that I laid down around my stand. He came in to 10 yards and stood there for several minutes sniffing the scent bomb. The only problem was that it was still too dark to shoot. Oh well.

I won't soon give up on the scents!

rw

eureka77 10-31-2010 08:33 PM

Trails end in the early season has brought 'em in a few times, and Pete Rickards indian buck lure the rest of the season works pretty good for me.

country_guy9734 11-01-2010 04:00 AM

i have used them some. neer had any luck with them. i am not a big fan of scents so i stay away 90% of the time

Jackson Bowner 11-01-2010 04:17 AM

I have used Buck Stop 200 Proof for years on a drag string with occasional success. Probably at least a dozen times in 40+ years of hunting (although we didn't have scents when I first started hunting) I have had small buck follow my line in. And many times does were curious about the scent and would likewise follow it for a while. I have never had a 2 1/2 year old or older follow the line though. This year I gave up on scents entirely. They just seem to have no affect on luring in the type of buck I am looking for and are simply not cost effective for me.