Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Setting Up My First Stand

Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Spike

Default Setting Up My First Stand

Well, I finally have the incentive to get started hunting my father's property. He has a few acres in extreme southern Louisiana. The area I am looking is a fence line that separates the woods from a pasture of cattle. I will be using a bow instead of a rifle as I wish not to harm any of the cattle by accident. I have previously looked the property over, and seen sign from last year. I have purchased a bag of feed corn, and will soon be going to buy a trail cam. I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on a good place to set my stand and tactics to draw in the deer. The deer are traveling along this fence line. Allover, there are acorn and pecan trees as well as scattered clover. Thank you for any advice
Old 10-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Spike

What part of Louisiana, because I too am from Louisiana.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Without knowing anything else about the situation, I'd say to give careful thought to the prevailing winds. Select a tree for a stand that will have you scent blowing away from where you expect the deer to come from and where you expect the to be when you hope to get a shot.
Also, try to plan your travel route to and from your stand so that you don't:
a. bump any deer that are bedded
b. leave a scent trail that the deer have to cross to get to your "sweet spot".
If possible, have more than one stand location so you can use a different one for different winds.

These ought to be good ideas for starters - - Good Luck!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

downwind of a trail