Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Questions from a new whitetail hunter >

Questions from a new whitetail hunter

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Questions from a new whitetail hunter

Old 10-29-2010, 06:36 AM
Spike

Default Questions from a new whitetail hunter

Hello Whitetail Hunters,
I am new to the site, forums, and Whitetail hunting and love this site and forums. I am in need of some gear and want to get some input from the forum community.
Let me give you some background information. I have hunted deer twice and really have no experience. I will be hunting in Southern Illinois on Nov 19-21 with a 12ga H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Lightweight fitted with a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 from a tree stand. I am in need of some equipment and was wondering if I can get some input on what I should be purchasing and some good websites to purchase gear at. I have the the clothing, boots, and orange garb so I am covered there. The one thing I know I need for sure is a harness. What else should I be buying? Should I buy scent killer, special laundry detergent, special soap, doe urine, clothing bags? I looked at these in the store and wow some of that stuff is pricey. Thanks and happy hunting to you all.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't listen to the idiot telling you to not use a safety harness. If he wants to take a chance with his life so be it. Your well being to yourself and loved ones are more important than a little inconvenience. If you use a climbing stand practice with it before you go hunting.

I like to wash my cloths in unscented soap and take showers in unscented soap. I do not use the scent kill or any scent suits. Also unscented deodorant like Right Guard unscented is cheaper than the hunting brands. All this will only help and deer will still smell you if the wind blows to them. So make sure you hunt the wind.

Have warm cloths, a knife and something to kill the animal with. You don't have to get crazy and spend a lot of money to start with. Buy a few things every year. I do like a good pair of binoculars.

I would buy things locally so they can help you out if you can. Several good mail order places like Bass Pro and Cabelas will always have most everything.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
Don't listen to the idiot telling you to not use a safety harness. If he wants to take a chance with his life so be it. Your well being to yourself and loved ones are more important than a little inconvenience. If you use a climbing stand practice with it before you go hunting.

I like to wash my cloths in unscented soap and take showers in unscented soap. I do not use the scent kill or any scent suits. Also unscented deodorant like Right Guard unscented is cheaper than the hunting brands. All this will only help and deer will still smell you if the wind blows to them. So make sure you hunt the wind.

Have warm cloths, a knife and something to kill the animal with. You don't have to get crazy and spend a lot of money to start with. Buy a few things every year. I do like a good pair of binoculars.

I would buy things locally so they can help you out if you can. Several good mail order places like Bass Pro and Cabelas will always have most everything.
I agree 100% with this, I will stress wear a harness especially in a lock on or climbing stand. Hunting on budget doesn't always mean spending the least amount to me I put the money where it counts. Good binoculars are important especially if you are hunting a large field. For the little things a grunt call can be a godsend when that trophy is walking by and you need to stop him, they can be had for $6 at wally world, either a rattle bag or rattling horns, a couple small flashlights 1 led for walking in/out, 1 incadecant for trailing blood, some people like to carry all their gear into the woods which has its place depending on where theyu hunt, I keep everything in a duffle bag then carry the necessaties with me : lights,grunt,TP, binos. I hope this helps.
P.S. As stated practice with everything before heading to the woods make sure you can move around and get comfortable. If you have to clear any saplings or such be sure to cut them flush with the ground you dont want any "punji" sticks under your stand if you were happen to fall.

Last edited by fishtaconc; 10-29-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Being comfortable is more important that having all the latest gear. Sitting still and not jerking your head to see something. Move slow and cautiously. A grunt call and a safety harness is about all i would buy if I were you. Make sure you have food and water and just sit still and stay in the woods all day long. Wash your clothes in arm&hammer, its cheap and eliminates odors. Hunting on a budget to me is more rewarding. I can kill deer just like everyone else for cheaper!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

1st PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR A SAFETY HARNESS. You don't want to be paralyzed from the neck down do ya? Just think how hard life will be on you and everyone around ya. Just for 2 minutes out of your life to put it on before you climb the tree is all it takes at the max. I wear the one that came with my summit stand and it don't hinder me 1 bit!
You'll find what works for you over time so I wouldn't be to cocerned about going all out as far as equipment.
With scent control it's all about minimizing your scent, to where it's not alarming to the deer. Don't personally think you can get rid of it totally. If your in the military wear your chemical suit. I swear it's the best thing out there.
To test it, eat the nastiest chili ya can then when ya get the farts put on your suit and let it rip, you won't smell a thing. They work better than any scentlok ya buy at a store for buku bucks. You can fart in those and smell it, they don't have alot of carbon in them compared to the NBC suit.
Be safe and Good luck!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I second the safety harness!!! Definitely worth the monies and effort. If not for yourself, then for your family and loved ones.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

i would get a set of sharp knifes they are a necessity
Old 10-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Safety Harness (hunters safety system is the best)
Knife
Binoculars (I like 8X42)
Grunt tube
Flash light or head light (Energizer LED head beam at Walmart, they are cheap, bright and work great)
Drag rope (not needed if you get the Hunters Safety harness, use the relief strap as a drag rope
Rubber gloves (poly gut gloves from Gander work great)
Pull rope - used to get gun up once you get in the stand (make sure it is unloaded plz)
Toilet paper (used for emergencies and animal tracking)
Two screw in steps & relief strap(used in case you fall out of the stand)
Whistle (call for help if hanging by your harness)

All those except the binos are cheap and come in handy if you kill a deer. The harness is expensive but your life is worth much more, don;t skimp on a harness you won't use because it is difficult to get in and out of. Hunters Safety System harness is a breeze to use and depending on the model, they have great storage and bino clips built in.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-29-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Spike

I will look at purchasing the harness first. I definitely Thank you all for the replies. It's good to know I can buy some regular scent free supplies without having to spend a ton of money on the stuff you find in the outdoors and hunting stores. I am preparing my list as we speak. I can't wait!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wardog2171
I will look at purchasing the harness first. I definitely Thank you all for the replies. It's good to know I can buy some regular scent free supplies without having to spend a ton of money on the stuff you find in the outdoors and hunting stores. I am preparing my list as we speak. I can't wait!
You might want to take a look at the Hunter Safety system vests (or whatever they're called). It's a harness built into a vest. It's really easy to put on, especially in the dark, as compared to one of the harnesses that come with all tree stands. Plus it's quite comfortable once you have it properly adjusted. I practically forget I'm wearing it. It's a little pricey (about $100), but well worth it IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.