Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

texting

Old 10-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

I don't when I am by myself. I like enjoying the woods. The last time my brother was hunting with me we texted for a few minutes to see what each other was up to. 5 minutes later I get another text saying "man i just scared a 10 point away". Ends up that when he sent the last message he looked to his right and at 10 yards he was being eyeballed by a nice 10 still in velvet. Long story short the big buck tricked him into thinking he wasn't looking and when my brother made his move..... BYE BYE BUCK. When I asked if he was ticked for texting he said no, if it would have been radios then he never would have saw him at all. I bet he won't be texting next time though!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bowhuntn87
the cell phone comes along, but only for emergency purposes or if i need help dragging something out. getting into the woods is a way to get away from most of it... and thats why i try not to text.
You think like I do. I think too many people suffer from ADD (or OCD) these days and can't even tear themselves away from their frickin' phone for a few hours. It's a compulsion and pretty sad IMO. I welcome the break from the phone and other stuff while hunting. I only carry my phone for emergency purposes while hunting and have it on silent (not even 'vibrate' mode).
Old 10-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
We don't have cell phone service where I hunt.
Same here.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
You think like I do. I think too many people suffer from ADD (or OCD) these days and can't even tear themselves away from their frickin' phone for a few hours. It's a compulsion and pretty sad IMO. I welcome the break from the phone and other stuff while hunting. I only carry my phone for emergency purposes while hunting and have it on silent (not even 'vibrate' mode).
I have to agree. Driving around the baltimore beltway everyday, I see all these people that feel the need to play with thier phones non stop. I mean they can't jsut go down the road and relax. Got to have tunes blasting or some text going.

Its the one thing I love about riding motorcycles. Nobody can call me, nobody can even reach me. My wife said one time, "what if there is an emergency". I asked her what in the world did people do before 1990.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the many reasons I go hunting is to get away from phones, 'puters and the people who use them. Why in the world would I want to text someone while I am hunting. Here in CO if the scenery in the area you are in doesn't keep you from being "bored".....you're huntin in the wrong place.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:52 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

We text all the time. It's exciting to hear what everyone else is seeing or killing. On opening day of rifle season I bet I got 75 text in the first 3 hours.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I knew it

Newbie hunters would find a way to work eight hours in a tree stand.

"I did not see that deer sneaking by the tree stand. I was too busy making a conference texting message back to the office."

"What do you mean you're taking the day off to go in woods? When did you lose that texting cell phone?"

"The new tree stands are coming out with a fixed, large print, texting machine, just for the busy hunter."
Old 10-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Spike

One of the best reasons to go hunting is to enjoy the peace and quiet of the woods and get away from all the stuff from the day to day rat race and enjoy the quiet time. Cell phone stays in the camp, no cell service where we hunt anyway all the people we hunt with use radios in case of emergency.