Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

worlds oldest deer

Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default worlds oldest deer

i want to see a pic of a really old deer.... been searching online for pics of like the world oldest deer with no results. any help?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kyslayer
i want to see a pic of a really old deer.... been searching online for pics of like the world oldest deer with no results. any help?
Here it is,
A Megaloceros giganteus the worlds oldest deer.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

guess i should have specified.... oldest white tail deer
Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Not a pic but some info: http://www.suwanneeriverranch.com/WTinfo.htm
Whitetail deer live 20 years or more in captivity, and have many special needs...not only to be comfortable, but to simply survive.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what the oldest one is.
My uncle shot a 5x5 whitetail in the Kootneys of British Columbia back in the 90's.He sent the tooth in for age which was not mandatory at the time but encouraged.The results came back and it was 13 years old.I'm going to Princeton in November so I'll get a pic. The antlers were in major recession. Very very typical on both sides it had some mass but had no tine length or height.He mounted it cause it was 13 years old.You can really tell by the colour and facial features of this animal, it was old.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer that are active breeders have a hard time getting old. It takes a toll on them physically and the more a buck moves to find does, the more he is exposed to hunters. Barren does and bucks that don't breed have the best chance to get "old".
Old 10-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

yea im just curious what they look like when they are over ten years old. I have never really seen the recession of a rack
Old 10-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Deer that are active breeders have a hard time getting old. It takes a toll on them physically and the more a buck moves to find does, the more he is exposed to hunters. Barren does and bucks that don't breed have the best chance to get "old".
The real dominate, smart mulies, (I don't know about whitetail) breed but they let the does go to them.They may not get them all, but they don't let themselves get exposed.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a big old doe one time that was by herself and when I checked she did not have a tooth in her mouth. She had a big head on her and looked pretty rough. I figured an old doe like that would have younger ones with her, but not this one. Maybe she was barren like UncleNorby said and that would explain it.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the oldest buck I have a picture of alive. I'm not sure how old he is, but we've seen him for 4 years straight. He was at his biggest we've seen him 4 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails worlds oldest deer-big-6-alfalfa.jpg   worlds oldest deer-06-2520nov-2520big-25206-2520point-1-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.