Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunters "area"

Old 10-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunters "area"

I hunt public land and have a question on how to approach this. The area I hunt I would say is about 800-900 acres. There is a particular "strip" of woods that is about 500 yards long and has a dirt trail on one side and a field (private) on the other. The tree I hunt from is about 50 yards from where I park. You can walk down the trail(500 yards) and cross a creek and that is all WMA. I have a spot I like to hunt during muzzle loader in fact out there. Anyway, for the past few mornings there has a been a truck there. I don't know where this guy goes. If he walks out and crosses the creek... A good 10-15 minute walk or sits just in that strip of woods. I thought about leaving a note and asking. I know the first answer is get up earlier and beat him there. I guess my question is do I park and walk the 50 yards and see if he is there or do like I have been doing and hunt another spot. Dying to get there cause opening weekend I saw two bucks and about 4 does.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Spike

I say get in there and hunt. You and he both need to accept the fact that another hunter may walk up on you on public land. It shouldn't stop you from trying to get to your spot, but the sooner you two can figure out how to hunt around each other the better.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Are you bow or rifle hunting? If bow I would advise getting one of those real thin blaze orange vests (if you don't already have one) to wear over your camo in case he is fairly close to where you sit. That way you can take it off and stash it in a pocket or backpack so he doesn't bag you.

Otherwise I'd say get out there and hunt. I've hunted public land, walked back a mile didn't see anyone else until I found a suitable spot to sit during rifle and there was someone there. So I picked a spot about 150-200 yards from him (there was an island of swamp and thick pine trees, he was on one side and I was on the other) and managed to bag a doe that was making a break across a clearing towards the swamp. I don't feel bad nor would have I been ticked had it been the other way around, but different people react different ways.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

I say go for where you want to hunt. It's public land and stuff like that happens, why not take the risk and go to your spot where he may not even be? If he ends up being there, I guess you found the answer to the question about finding out where he sits
Old 10-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. It's bow season right now which is why I am going there. I always go in with light and carry orange. I don't want to get shot at by a hunter not switched on. I am heading out in the AM and will give it a shot.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck man! Stay safe, and bag the big one! I'm going stir crazy! Can't get out, Stupid wind.....
Old 10-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

When you're hunting on public hand, everyone has to expect that from time to time another hunter will walk into your area. I hunt here in southern Maryland on public land which is 2200 acres. Last week I had walked through another hunters area as I was exiting the woods. I tried my best to be quiet as possible but he still gave me an attitude because I walked through his area. What pissed me off was he was sitting right next to this logging road where everyone enters and exits the woods. What do you expect??!!!!