Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

AM or PM ?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt south central Kansas as well. Today I saw a buck crossing the road a little after noon or about an hour ago. The wind is blowing 20 to 30 mph out of the northwest and didn't seem to bother him one bit. I stopped and watched him for a few minutes and me being there in my truck didn't bother him either, just slowly went about his business. I generally hunt from about 3pm to dark. Though from what I saw today the bucks are starting to move. Could be the cold front that just came through. Might be time to start going all day now. I know you don't want to miss the first week of November around here.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

i know i cant wait till next week. hopefully this cold front stick around and we can get some backstraps on the grill!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ksharvester
i know i cant wait till next week. hopefully this cold front stick around and we can get some backstraps on the grill!
Amen! Good Luck!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

I tend to scare few deer in the evenings (usually Saturday), but I like Sunday morning hunts so I don't put myself in a position where I can't return to the field on Monday morning to retrieve a deer that has bled out. Plus--my treestand is already sort of my own spiritual sanctuary, anyway.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Spike

Strange. Everyone seems to have luck in the evening but where I hunt, i rarely (i cant remember at all) any time I've seen deer in the afternoon. I have mostly nights free so far and no luck but I've seen quite a few deer between 8-11 so it must be the area. I usually hunt public large areas of woods and usuall on ridges near thick areas. Now when winter comes and its gets alot colder and the food dwindles( the whole mountain's full of acorns), I could see things changing.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have always had better luck in the evening. I will still go out in the morningbut I always seem to see the most in the last hour of light.