Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

AM or PM ?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default AM or PM ?

Like a lot of us on here I have kids, a wife, a job and other responsibilities that interfere with my hunting

I know "ya can't kill one from the couch", but what do you think the general consensus is when it comes to the best odds of seeing a deer out moving? I live in East Central Kansas, and I have always had the best luck in the last hour before dark.
I am just trying to maximize my efforts as I cannot hunt both morning and evening.
Don't have a trailcam to put up to pattern them.

Any input?

Thanks a lot!

Don
Old 10-27-2010, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

i hunt south central kansas and i have been out both morning and evening and im seeing more activity in the evening then the morning right now as a matter of fact i havent seen one deer in the AM yet. i am not sacraficing anymore sleep to sit in the stand until the ruts kicks in.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply...
I always think the same thing after going to bed early, getting up EARLY, freezing my ass off for hours only to see nothing!
Don't get me wrong, I am not giving up or being lazy. I think everyone starts to question their efforts after SEVERAL cold, dark, unfruitful mornings in a cold tree stand.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO
Thanks for the reply...
I always think the same thing after going to bed early, getting up EARLY, freezing my ass off for hours only to see nothing!
Don't get me wrong, I am not giving up or being lazy. I think everyone starts to question their efforts after SEVERAL cold, dark, unfruitful mornings in a cold tree stand.

Good luck!
Agreed. I have morning and evening stands that will produce more deer at the respective time the stand is good.

My morning stands are usually quite a ways off the field edges, maybe 300-400 yards when I catch them coming back into the bedding areas.

My afternoon stands are mostly on field edges, with a few being about 75-100 yards off the field.

I've had good luck seeing deer during both AM and PM, but only from the stands that are designated as such. If I sit the same stand all day, I rarely see the same amount of deer in the morning and evening.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Early in the season evenings. Now, and through the rut, mornings.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks a lot guys!
I'll keep you posted on my success (or lack thereof )

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it!

Don
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Agreed, for the next week I would and will be hunting the evenings more than in the morning. After Halloween more often than not I will sit all day, but for sure in the a.m. until 10 or so.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Spike

I like to hunt evenings early season, in the morning I hate spooking deer from my stand locations before the rut hits full swing. All this info will fly right out the window when rut is goin, any time is good during the rut, just have to be on stand, somewhere. good luck
Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

when the time changes, morning hunts are possible before time to go to work.
As previously stated, good luck
Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Here in Indiana the evening hunts have put me in front of lots of deer the mornings very few. Up until yesterday I had not seen many in good enough light to have a chance at a shot. After the storm passed through yesterday I was up in my stand by 4:00 and saw 4 deer before 6:15 but once again they were to far out. One more move may put me on top of them and give me a shot with some light to see. I have seen 2 bucks the past 3 days,one at 2:00 pm the other around 6:15 which has not happened since bow season started Oct.1. Good Hunting To Ya!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.