Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Sweaty.. Like shooting myself in the foot? >

Sweaty.. Like shooting myself in the foot?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sweaty.. Like shooting myself in the foot?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sweaty.. Like shooting myself in the foot?

Ive been hunting a 50 acre thickly wooded area, mostly low land that has deer pouring down a creek channel/ powerline crossing into my hunting ground. Ive hunted a dozen or so times this year w/a bow. Some times from the ground and mostly in a climber stand. Well the weather in NC hasnt been the greatest, little on the warm side. By the time I haul all my crud into the woods, down the steep ravine, Im already perspiring, and after the 15-20' climb up the tree my hat gets a good ban of sweat, and my body a light coat. Drys up quick as my camos light and ventalated. But the hat stays moist. I use scent eliminations (wash,spray,deoderant, bakingsoda for toothpaste). Is this little amount of sweat like a stay away beacon to the deer? I also walk these grounds 2 -3 times a week, checking on a camera, and some times drop a gallon or 2 of corn off infront of it. On a side note, the wind down there gos all over, gusts randomly. And Ive had deer come in on me once during a hunt (too far to shoot). Another time a 4pt came right under my stand (in light rain) and I wasnt able to recover that deer. Might have to buy my venison this year lol

Last edited by louie6014; 10-26-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you feel you must wear a hat then take it off until you have cooled down. The best thing to do it not wear one at all unless you will be facing the sun. I believe a sock cap is better in cold weather because you can wash it easier. Hats are a scent factory and some guys will wear the same 'lucky' hat until it falls apart.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even in cold weather, if I have to walk far I will use a backpack to carry my outer layers. I often walk in with a t-shirt rather than wear even a light jacket. No harm in being a little cool walking in.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Just bring your cover scent spray with you and spray it down with it you should be fine .
Old 10-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by arrow2512 View Post
just bring your cover scent spray with you and spray it down with it you should be fine .
not....!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

or you could hunt the wind
Old 10-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Yea I know hats will stink it up, I have a few, and after a few trips to the lake fishing, they get rank, or a black hat will accumlate a salt line from your sweat. Tonight I was able to stalk some deer, got about 40 yrds from them, no good shots. All were smaller does. Washed everything before I went, even the hat. I guess Ill try it hat-less, it really does trap alot of sweat. Other than that, is there anything else detamental to my sucess? I think I have an alright scent prevention system.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby View Post
Even in cold weather, if I have to walk far I will use a backpack to carry my outer layers. I often walk in with a t-shirt rather than wear even a light jacket. No harm in being a little cool walking in.
THis!!

I wear only the minimum amount of clothes to my stand if I have a pretty good hike--which in the mountains of WV I usually do. I carry a gallon size ziploc and stuff my sweaty t-shirt into it then get dressed under the stand. I purposely wear cotton t's to absord the sweat. On hotters days I even bring a towel to get as dry as possible before putting hunting clothes on, then just stuff it all in the ziploc bag and put it into my pack.

Heck I usually even wear just 1 pair of cotton socks to the stand then put on my heavy socks before I climb up. You have to carry a bit more but it really doesnt take long to get dressed and it sure is nice to take off the sweaty clothes put on the warm dry clothes and sit in the stand.

As far as scent killer I spray everything down the night before let it hang out on the porch all night, pack it up outside and put it on the back of the truck.

I always use fox urine at the treestand as a cover scent, I spray the bottom of the tree and again once Im in the stand. Just hunting the wind wear IM at is not a real possibility. It usually seems to be swirling or switch directions alot.

IM not sure what works best or doesnt work with this combination but I rarely spook deer while Im in the stand strickly from them winding me.

Last edited by Duckbutter48; 10-27-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

No matter what you do to eliminate the scent you must be down wind if possible. As has been said wear only the bare minimum going to the stand. I quit wearing hats and long sleeve jerseys even the wicking type still hold scent after they dry. I use a climber and I use to strap my pack to it then hump it in but if I carry it with one hand and my bow in the other I don't seem to sweat as much. Unscented body powder in my boots and on me seems to help a little. I wear wicking socks or merino wool socks never cotton. Also Odor Eater shoe inserts with carbon filtering help cut down on the foot odor. They also sell scent free wipes which are good for wiping your face and neck down when you get up in the stand. Good Hunting To Ya!