HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer Baiting-Yes or No? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332737-deer-baiting-yes-no.html)

ssnow1970 10-26-2010 11:57 AM

Deer Baiting-Yes or No?

I am a college student studying Wildlife Biology. Im having to give a presentation on wildlife baiting in general. I wanted to get some real life opinions weather or not you think wildife baiting should be allowed or not. This is not just secluded to deer baiting, opinions to any type of game species you hunt is more than welcome! Thanks!

Ranerick 10-26-2010 12:10 PM

no bait needed to kill big bucks and good luck on your presentation

kswild 10-26-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ssnow1970 (Post 3709594)
I am a college student studying Wildlife Biology. Im having to give a presentation on wildlife baiting in general. I wanted to get some real life opinions weather or not you think wildife baiting should be allowed or not. This is not just secluded to deer baiting, opinions to any type of game species you hunt is more than welcome! Thanks!

If it is legal where a hunter hunts I would say absolutely nothing wrong with bating. It is a hunters preference if they want to or not.
Live it up! Doug

dusters84 10-26-2010 12:27 PM

I don't like it one bit, helps spread disease and can turn the animals nocturnal. I wish they would just ban it, but I know that isn't going to happen.

timbercruiser 10-26-2010 12:30 PM

I've hunted over bait as well as food plots or agriculture fields. I see nothing wrong with it. Some people say it causes diseases, yet Texas is a state that uses more bait than any other yet there havn't been reports I"ve heard of about disease in Texas. To bait is to lure or entice which would include anything not natural including bait, agriculture fields, sex attractants, food plots, sacked food attractants, peanut butter, mineral sites, calling, rattling and other baiting. The old saying of "it depends on if it is your ox that is being gored" applies here, IMHO. If it is legal where you hunt and you have no personal problems with it, then go ahead. Just don't tell anybody else how they should legally hunt.

7.62NATO 10-26-2010 12:31 PM

I don't do it but I have no problem with it. Leave it up to the individual. The only kind of baiting I'm really opposed to is when time-released bait is used. Like a corn feeder that drops corn at the same times every day. That's like shooting fish in a barrel.

doall hunter 10-26-2010 12:33 PM

I do not like it at all. Its just a cop-out to putting hardly any work in/ Anyone can put a stand up and throw 10lbs of corn on the ground. It is more ethical to me to do your homework and find a place with trails, scrapes,rubs, scratching(turkeys) etc.

accman 10-26-2010 12:43 PM

It's no different than food plots. Food plots in NY are legal, baiting isn't, really? Why? If I throw down No-plow or any other product, I'm not creating a food plot which I'm going to use for food, I'm baiting the area to feed the deer and hopefully have them around come hunting time. Ted Nugent has the best answers when it comes to this subject. Look up his views to get the best side favoring it. Me, I can go either way. I'd even say No to baiting and No to food plots too. As long as it's across the board. Having some states say Yeah, and some Nay, is for the birds and makes no sense at all. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your presentation.

scarredup300 10-26-2010 12:48 PM

If its legal I have no problem with it.

7.62NATO 10-26-2010 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by accman (Post 3709624)
I'd even say No to baiting and No to food plots too. As long as it's across the board. Having some states say Yeah, and some Nay, is for the birds and makes no sense at all.

It's called state's rights.