Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Baiting-Yes or No?

Old 10-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
It's called state's rights.
And I don't even think it should be state's rights but the individual's right to be able to decide. Why should the state be involved at all? If it doesn't have to do with safety or herd management the state should stay out of it!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Spike

it is legal in some states and illegal in others, which, in the end makes it the choice of the land owner, and if that land owner is a hunter, or has bought the land specifically for hunting purposes, can plant any type of attractant he/she wants to. This is the same as dropping off a salt block or mineral block. So, states like mine, Iowa, baiting is not legal, but a land owner who leases or has bought land here can plant any attractant he/she wants. DNR does not regulate it. It is all baiting in my mind. Need to see some consistancy in laws before anything will change. No bait is the way to go
Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dusters84
I don't like it one bit, helps spread disease and can turn the animals nocturnal. I wish they would just ban it, but I know that isn't going to happen.
I call BS on the spreading disease.....Deer live nose to nose and are in close contact all the time.

I have used bait at times but most times I don't because it cost a lot and is a lot of work. Some guys that hunt a small tract can put out some corn and help his hunting. Guys with larger areas can put out food plots but not everyone has this option.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Spike

Default baiting deer

I hunt a managed pine tract that is surrounded by farms and other pine tracts. These are thick brushy areas where deer can roam. No real pattern to set up on, so by dumping corn it keeps does in the area, sure you can kill deer eating :but mostly I hunt trails leading from bedding areas. If I didnt dump ( i spread over an area) I probably wouldnt see many deer. This recent muzzleloader season I saw 22 deer mostly all were spikes buttons and a few does. I dont really want to kill the does yet because the make the best bait!!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

When i started, i was 100% against bating.

Then i saw how much it worked, and if done right, it works TREMENDOUSLY.

Im still against it, but i grow more and more inclined to try it everyday...
Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dusters84
I don't like it one bit, helps spread disease and can turn the animals nocturnal. I wish they would just ban it, but I know that isn't going to happen.
Deer are primarily nocturnal already. Throwing corn out, putting up a feeder, or planting a food plot is not going to make them any more nocturnal than they already are.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
If it is legal where a hunter hunts I would say absolutely nothing wrong with bating. It is a hunters preference if they want to or not.
Live it up! Doug
Agree 100%
Old 10-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by doall hunter
I do not like it at all. Its just a cop-out to putting hardly any work in/ Anyone can put a stand up and throw 10lbs of corn on the ground. It is more ethical to me to do your homework and find a place with trails, scrapes,rubs, scratching(turkeys) etc.
Baiting DOES NOT guarantee you will kill deer, deer will walk past 100lbs of corn to eat acorns or anything thing else they prefer. Planting food plots is the same thing as baiting IMO.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
I call BS on the spreading disease.....Deer live nose to nose and are in close contact all the time.

I have used bait at times but most times I don't because it cost a lot and is a lot of work. Some guys that hunt a small tract can put out some corn and help his hunting. Guys with larger areas can put out food plots but not everyone has this option.
If it doesn't spread disease then why would it be banned in areas with CWD
Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

IMO, baiting cheapens the hunt. You are changing the patterns of the deer vs. learning there's. In areas with overly high deer populations, I think it can be a good thing, especially for those who have little time in the woods or you really need the meat. I bait early in August and September by my cams to see what's out in the woods I'm hunting. I put out corn at the end of last season, only to thin some additional does at the farmer's request. It just didn't feel much like hunting, when there was two feet of snow on the ground and my corn was the easiest food to access.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.