Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Baiting-Yes or No?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:31 PM
  #41  
Typical Buck
 
kswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 616
Default

Originally Posted by browningbolt
.So you tell me whos more ethical the guy throwing out buckets of corn for month and then stoping.
Why bring ethics into this?
Guess who's quotes these are:
"So why bring undue and unwarranted suspicion to an honorable community that has nothing to hide? It literally baffles me. If the guys who consistently talk about hunting ethics believe for a second they are uplifting the image of hunting and attracting new hunters, they are dead wrong."

"The reason some in the hunting community have adopted this wrong-headed approach of constantly talking about hunting ethics is that they believe it will take some of the sting out of the anti-hunting numbnuts' morally and ethically bankrupt ideological vacuity. These fellow hunters couldn't be more wrong in their approach to portraying hunting." Ted Nugent
Live it up! Doug
kswild is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 PM
  #42  
Fork Horn
 
dusters84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 261
Default

Originally Posted by kswild
A couple of points I would like to make.
There is a misconception about baiting spreading disease. This is ONLY possible where there are known cases of disease ALREADY occurring in a deer herd. It has NEVER been documented of happening in a healthy deer herd. Thus the potential for spreading disease is already present through normal deer herd activity if there are known cases already occurring.
Number two is you make 3 statements but you show no proof. You only parrot what the States say is the reason for banning baiting. Why because there is no REAL hard evidence to prove any of the things you CLAIM happens as a result of baiting. Show me the proof of what you claim or quit spreading these false truths.
Live it up! Doug
False truths? I'm the one posting quotes and articles while you are bringing absolutely NO facts to the table.

"Concerns associated with baiting and feeding have grown in recent years. Scientific studies have concluded that the deadly disease in deer, chronic wasting disease or CWD, can be spread between deer through saliva and at contaminated sites such as baiting and feeding locations. Research conducted at Sandhill Wildlife Area concluded that even with limiting the quantity of bait placed, the potential for disease transmission continues."

And while yeah there has to be disease for it to spread in the first place, and not all states have CWD, there are still many other diseases that other animals carry that can be spread.

“Baiting and feeding cause unnatural concentrations of deer and their activity increasing the risk of disease infection and spread,” says Dr. Sarah Hurley, DNR veterinarian and land program manager. “Repeated use of feeding and baiting areas poses a long term risk of disease transmission.”
dusters84 is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 PM
  #43  
Typical Buck
 
kswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 616
Default

Originally Posted by dusters84
False truths? I'm the one posting quotes and articles while you are bringing absolutely NO facts to the table.

"Concerns associated with baiting and feeding have grown in recent years. Scientific studies have concluded that the deadly disease in deer, chronic wasting disease or CWD, can be spread between deer through saliva and at contaminated sites such as baiting and feeding locations. Research conducted at Sandhill Wildlife Area concluded that even with limiting the quantity of bait placed, the potential for disease transmission continues."

And while yeah there has to be disease for it to spread in the first place, and not all states have CWD, there are still many other diseases that other animals carry that can be spread.

“Baiting and feeding cause unnatural concentrations of deer and their activity increasing the risk of disease infection and spread,” says Dr. Sarah Hurley, DNR veterinarian and land program manager. “Repeated use of feeding and baiting areas poses a long term risk of disease transmission.”
We can do this all night! Cut and paste! Below I have put in bold and underlined the key word.....If....... Disease has got to Already be present in order to be transmitted. Deer are a herd animal they eat together, sleep together. "Deer do not need bait thrown around to have nose to nose contact. Their lives are nose-to-nose contact, nose-to-eyeball contact, nose-to-ear contact, nose to butt contact, with or without man's involvement."

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...baiting_ca.pdf

The provision of food to wildlife has been implicated widely as a causative factor that increases the occurrence of infectious and non-infectious disease. Animals are attracted to artificial sources of feed in higher density than normally occurs under natural conditions (Thorne and Herriges, 1992; Williams et al., 1993; Fischer et al., 1997). As animal density increases, competition for food also increases resulting in more frequent contact among individuals (Baker and Hobbs, 1985; Schmitt et al., 1997). Contact can be direct through physical contact, or indirect as occurs when two animals share the same portion of food. If one or more animals are harboring an infectious organism or prion, its transmission to uninfected individuals is facilitated by the increased frequency of contact among animals congregating at the feeding site.
Live it up! Doug
kswild is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 08:41 PM
  #44  
Fork Horn
 
Waldo Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 132
Default

Dude just drop it. To each his own. Deer would be feeding next to each other in a food plot too. It's not like they have to swap spit while eating corn for a disease to spread. Also not all people that use corn as bait stop putting corn out. Some people have it out all year long to make a healthier deer herd. Some people also put protien in with the corn. Man terrible people there, maybe we should ban them from hunting. Or we could just bash each other some more because we have different ways. We are all HUNTERS and that is the main point. Quit giving animal activists more ammo by talking bad about baiting.
P.S. I dont hardly bait at all, and I have two foodplots in. I probably wont hunt over any of them though. Good luck this season, and if you see corn on the ground, don't hunt by it because someone could have put it there on purpose.

Originally Posted by dusters84
False truths? I'm the one posting quotes and articles while you are bringing absolutely NO facts to the table.

"Concerns associated with baiting and feeding have grown in recent years. Scientific studies have concluded that the deadly disease in deer, chronic wasting disease or CWD, can be spread between deer through saliva and at contaminated sites such as baiting and feeding locations. Research conducted at Sandhill Wildlife Area concluded that even with limiting the quantity of bait placed, the potential for disease transmission continues."

And while yeah there has to be disease for it to spread in the first place, and not all states have CWD, there are still many other diseases that other animals carry that can be spread.

“Baiting and feeding cause unnatural concentrations of deer and their activity increasing the risk of disease infection and spread,” says Dr. Sarah Hurley, DNR veterinarian and land program manager. “Repeated use of feeding and baiting areas poses a long term risk of disease transmission.”
Waldo Hunter is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 PM
  #45  
Fork Horn
 
dusters84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 261
Default

Well no duh you need disease to spread disease. But chances are when you have a high density of animals in one area there is going to be at least SOME form of disease. Would you recommend your entire city share one large plate to eat off of? That's basically what baiting is.
dusters84 is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 PM
  #46  
Fork Horn
 
dusters84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 261
Default

Originally Posted by Waldo Hunter
Dude just drop it. To each his own. Deer would be feeding next to each other in a food plot too. It's not like they have to swap spit while eating corn for a disease to spread. Also not all people that use corn as bait stop putting corn out. Some people have it out all year long to make a healthier deer herd. Some people also put protien in with the corn. Man terrible people there, maybe we should ban them from hunting. Or we could just bash each other some more because we have different ways. We are all HUNTERS and that is the main point. Quit giving animal activists more ammo by talking bad about baiting.
P.S. I dont hardly bait at all, and I have two foodplots in. I probably wont hunt over any of them though. Good luck this season, and if you see corn on the ground, don't hunt by it because someone could have put it there on purpose.
I never bashed anyone or called anyone a terrible person, so please don't put words in my mouth. All I did was state some facts on baiting.
dusters84 is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 AM
  #47  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 79
Default

Baiting becomes a ? of ethics to ME (this is still america I am still entitled to form my own opinion right or wrong correct without fear of death or being called an anti-hunter)when it is abused.Back when baiting was legal in Wisconsin truckloads of corn where dumped out by some not gallons no lie.Now these same people wonder why the dnr had to ban or limit baiting in the state.
browningbolt is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 02:50 AM
  #48  
Nontypical Buck
 
deernutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 1,260
Default

Originally Posted by browningbolt
Baiting becomes a ? of ethics to ME (this is still america I am still entitled to form my own opinion right or wrong correct without fear of death or being called an anti-hunter)when it is abused.Back when baiting was legal in Wisconsin truckloads of corn where dumped out by some not gallons no lie.Now these same people wonder why the dnr had to ban or limit baiting in the state.

You still can still bait in parts of WI
deernutz is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 06:00 AM
  #49  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 79
Default

Yes go to pages 26-32 of your hunting regs.White counties allow a 2 gallon limit. Grey shaded areas no-baiting.lf you can bait and want to make sure you read all of the correct ways ,whens,and hows that are legal.They have Q and A about baiting in deer regs. of most freq. asked questions.
browningbolt is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 AM
  #50  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: northern USA
Posts: 274
Default

Back to answering the original question...yes it should be legal, but I think regulating the amount is important. Before WI had a limit on the amount people would literally dump truckloads of corn out and it led to some deer getting sick and dying because of acidosis. When there isn't as much corn sitting there, the deer aren't as likely to gorge themselves and get sick. In certain parts of the country baiting is the only effective way to manage the deer and bear numbers as natural forage is so plentiful and cover too thick for hunters to manage the animals any other way.
bandgod is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.