Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Baiting-Yes or No?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 AM
  #31  
Fork Horn
 
dusters84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 261
Default

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
I call BS on the spreading disease.....Deer live nose to nose and are in close contact all the time.

I have used bait at times but most times I don't because it cost a lot and is a lot of work. Some guys that hunt a small tract can put out some corn and help his hunting. Guys with larger areas can put out food plots but not everyone has this option.
"Due to the unnatural concentration of animals associated with feeding, the probability of disease transmission among deer and other wildlife species, such as turkeys and raccoons, increases."

"Concentration of deer due to feeding can increase social interactions among deer that can lead to increased aggression and fighting resulting in broken antlers, injuries, and deaths"

"Feeding can disrupt normal movement of deer. Studies have shown that deer use portions of their home range more intensively when fed. Feeding deer can also result in overpopulation. As nutrition is increased, reproduction and survival can increase. If surplus animals are not harvested, deer can become overpopulated, which will again lead to habitat degradation."



And don't even try to compare baiting to planting a food plot, as they are not even remotely similar. Deer already will have natural food such as corn, alfalfa, and soy beans planted in most areas. A food plot is simply more of this, and one of the big reasons they are used is to help feed the deer through winter. Baiting is done is a very small area, where as a food plot will cover a much bigger portion. This small portion helps spreads disease. It is a fact, not an opinion.
dusters84 is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 AM
  #32  
Typical Buck
 
kswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 616
Default

Originally Posted by dusters84
"Due to the unnatural concentration of animals associated with feeding, the probability of disease transmission among deer and other wildlife species, such as turkeys and raccoons, increases."

"Concentration of deer due to feeding can increase social interactions among deer that can lead to increased aggression and fighting resulting in broken antlers, injuries, and deaths"

"Feeding can disrupt normal movement of deer. Studies have shown that deer use portions of their home range more intensively when fed. Feeding deer can also result in overpopulation. As nutrition is increased, reproduction and survival can increase. If surplus animals are not harvested, deer can become overpopulated, which will again lead to habitat degradation."



And don't even try to compare baiting to planting a food plot, as they are not even remotely similar. Deer already will have natural food such as corn, alfalfa, and soy beans planted in most areas. A food plot is simply more of this, and one of the big reasons they are used is to help feed the deer through winter. Baiting is done is a very small area, where as a food plot will cover a much bigger portion. This small portion helps spreads disease. It is a fact, not an opinion.
A couple of points I would like to make.
There is a misconception about baiting spreading disease. This is ONLY possible where there are known cases of disease ALREADY occurring in a deer herd. It has NEVER been documented of happening in a healthy deer herd. Thus the potential for spreading disease is already present through normal deer herd activity if there are known cases already occurring.
Number two is you make 3 statements but you show no proof. You only parrot what the States say is the reason for banning baiting. Why because there is no REAL hard evidence to prove any of the things you CLAIM happens as a result of baiting. Show me the proof of what you claim or quit spreading these false truths.
Live it up! Doug
kswild is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 AM
  #33  
Nontypical Buck
 
7.62NATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,473
Default

In regard to Duster's post, I would like to know which states ban baiting only during the season. Please post for your state. In Virginia, baiting is only banned DURING HUNTING SEASON. That means you can put a whole mountain of corn out 9 months of the year if you want to. So if the state, at least my state, were concerned about the points in Duster's post, putting out salt licks and corn and whatever else would be banned ALL THE TIME.
7.62NATO is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 AM
  #34  
Nontypical Buck
 
Duckbutter48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Berkeley Springs, WV
Posts: 1,293
Default

Originally Posted by dusters84

And don't even try to compare baiting to planting a food plot, as they are not even remotely similar. Deer already will have natural food such as corn, alfalfa, and soy beans planted in most areas..
Maybe where you are at but a lot of folks don't hunt around farms. So putting any food in any location is the same here. If it grows or gets dumped out of a bag makes no difference to a lot of us.

Natural food source around me is mainly acorns. You got to remember it does not look the same off the front porch for everyone on this site. The only soy beans and alfalfa near me are at the grocery store. There is some corn but most of it is gone pre-season.

As far as spreading disease...does it seem to be a huge problem in the states that make it legal to bait? Are there any numbers comparing cases in baiting and non-baiting states?

I honestly don't know the answer to the numbers question but quoting some internet comment really doesn't answer the question. Heck we can prove and dis-prove global warming for a month if we are just going to use random quotes from the net. All the quote said was increase the probability...I mean so if it goes from .00001% to .00002% of a chance, there is an increase in probability but...not really. Hard facts are one thing but I didn't see any in the information you posted.

Last edited by Duckbutter48; 10-27-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Duckbutter48 is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 AM
  #35  
Fork Horn
 
kyslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: northern ky
Posts: 252
Default

Originally Posted by doall hunter
I do not like it at all. Its just a cop-out to putting hardly any work in/ Anyone can put a stand up and throw 10lbs of corn on the ground. It is more ethical to me to do your homework and find a place with trails, scrapes,rubs, scratching(turkeys) etc.
I think your an idiot! Yea if you use bait your a lazy hunter, i guess this means if you use bait you dont spend any time scouting or preparing for the season. So you dont think its right to bait for animals with items already found in there natural habitat. If you where out hunting and saw a harvester sitting in a field with some corn spillng out of it would that be ok since it wasnt intentionally put there? Get a life this is a forum to help and give each other advice or share stories. NOT TO BASH ON SOMES HUNTING TACTICS!
kyslayer is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 AM
  #36  
Fork Horn
 
kyslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: northern ky
Posts: 252
Default

Originally Posted by dusters84
If it doesn't spread disease then why would it be banned in areas with CWD
Theres cwd in ky and baiting is legal, how the hell can it help spread disease
kyslayer is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 AM
  #37  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,926
Default No definite Yes or No answer

The game agencies have the reasons and their reasons for allowing hunting over bait or no hunting over bait.

Having seen a blind in west Texas, the hunting is nothing like hunting in a place like Ohio or Pennsylvania.

Besides, most hunters hunt one state. And few have a clue why some rules were instituted.
Valentine is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 04:28 PM
  #38  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Allenton Wis.
Posts: 186
Default

I hunt where it's legal. Baiting isn't the problem, it's slob hunters that put out 50 gallons when 2 gallons is the limit. Sometimes I bait but not much anymore. I tend to put out a quart of corn so they stop by to see if some is there. Baiting has gotten much less effective because slob baiters put out so much corn deer gorge themselves all night and sit all day with a bloated stomach. The deer also come in less during the day because with all the timber wolves running around the dumb deer that come in twice a day are figured out real fast and are the deer with their hides scattered all over the woods. Deer now days spend very little time around a bait pile, especially in the day time because of wolves.
ihookem1 is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 05:42 PM
  #39  
Nontypical Buck
 
deernutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 1,260
Default

Listen, people should be able to bait if it's legal. Not everyone has the time nor the money to til and plant, and yes it's the same. When u plant a plot with the intentions of hunting over it. What is the difference with pouring corn out? Just cause you put in some hard work into a plot doesn't make it different.

I bait cause the law says I can. I also have stands where I don't bait. I take bigger bucks off the non baited stands. When you pour corn into the middle of the woods deer aren't stupid. They know humans poured it. The reason some stands are baited is because u can place a camera on it and see whats in the area with out spending hrs placing cams on different trails.

I the end we all love to hunt deer. Bottom line I support your passion and respect your time and effort. You should respect mine. Good Luck!
deernutz is offline  
Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 PM
  #40  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 79
Default

The big difference between food plots and baiting is that food plot are a plus for all wildlife year round.Baiting is just meant for the hunter and the hunter only.So you tell me whos more ethical the guy throwing out buckets of corn for month and then stoping.Or the guy useing plots as a land management tool offering food when most animals need it winter.It always seems those that plot are also big into making the habitat better on there land also trees,native grasses and the like.
browningbolt is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.