Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Baiting-Yes or No?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't now, nor have I ever used bait. It may be legal but it remain unethical IMO. There for I am 100% against baiting.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
And I don't even think it should be state's rights but the individual's right to be able to decide. Why should the state be involved at all? If it doesn't have to do with safety or herd management the state should stay out of it!
Live it up! Doug
I agree with you, but I didn't feel like opening that can of worms. Plus, my response more appropriately addressed the "across the board" comment.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MichaelH
IMO, baiting cheapens the hunt. You are changing the patterns of the deer vs. learning there's.
And you're not changing patterns with calling, rattling and scented lures?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

I think you are going to get different answers depending on what state a person lives in. If they live in a state with legal baiting, they are for it. State with illegal baiting? against it.

For me, I live in a state that does not allow baiting and I am not a fan of it. Ever watch a bear hunt where they hunt over bait stations? Boring as heck. I would rather hunt an area where I don't know what is going to come by and I don't know if anything will show up. To me, if you hunt over bait, you pretty much know deer will be around when you go hunting. I would rather hunt, not shoot.

Just my $0.02
Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

I planted 35 apple trees this past year. Is that considered baiting? How about in 5 years when they begin producing apples.

I just picked up 7 5-gallon buckets of apples to take with me to the north woods which I plan to put out under these immature apple trees. Is this considered baiting.

Both will have the same result which is too keep the deer in the area and away from my neighbors corn piles.

If legal, it's the hunter's choice.

Guess it's time to remove the trophy rocks I've been putting out this summer. The rocks served two purposes, to supplement the deer's diet and to bring them in close for pictures on the trail camera. I'm starting to enjoy my trail camera activites almost as much as hunting.

Good luck with what ever hunting method you choose.

Last edited by W9ARcher; 10-26-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SchuLace
I think you are going to get different answers depending on what state a person lives in. If they live in a state with legal baiting, they are for it. State with illegal baiting? against it.
If I lived in a state where it was illegal I'd move! Btw I don't do much myself.... I might throw out a few apples that's about it. But I believe it should be up to an individual if they want to or not! There should be no law against it anywhere!
That would be fair to all because if they want to they can if they don't want to they don't have to!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

It is illegal to bait here and if it was legal I still wouldn't do it. It seems like it would take the fun out of hunting sitting 20 yards off a corn pile and pickin out which deer to shoot. Only time I do it is during pre season when I have my cameras set up and I want to see what I got on my property, but when bow season comes in I don't stick it out anymore.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Folks that think baiting is like shooting fish in a barrel may be surprised. I have one ladder stand I bait and also use my climber to hunt patterns when bow hunting.

The biggest thing with bait is usually you arent getting a shot at a half decent buck. They just seem to know not to come into the pile and the deer that do come in often will do a better job of noticing you are in the stand when you are, since they know what it smells like and looks like when you are not there.

It really depends though, baiting for a lot of folks isnt like you see on TV when some 500lbs feeder next to a water hole on a 500 acre ranch in Texas. Lots of folks may only have a few acres to hunt in hardwoods and if this isnt the deers usual stomping grounds they have to do what they can to bring deer to them. Not everyone has an area to stalk deer, some folks don't have 500 options of where to use their climbers. Heck a lot folks work hard and get 3 hours a week to hunt and properly scouting just isn't in the cards for them. And yes some guys just don't care, dump a truck load of apples and kill everything that comes into them.

Im of the mentality that I dont care what other hunters do or don't do. Baiting is legal in my state but X-bows are not. I know some guys that use them any way and really I don't care what they do or don't do in the woods. As long as they leave me alone they could tie up live doe in heat and it wouldnt bother me. I just like minding my own business for the most part.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

I don't like doing it personally, but if it is legal and others want to do it I have not problem with it. I am a little on the fence about food plots though as it is almost the same thing as a pile of corn in my book. Though I did put out my first plot this year. It doesn't seem to be coming up though.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

i live in kansas and it is legal to bait here. i have feeders that i fill which costs me about 50 bucks a barrel for a few weeks. i also had to make these feeders myself which they cost about 75 dollars a piece to make ( i have 2). i have to make trips to the feed store i have to spend money on gas to get to my hunting spot about 30 dollars a trip to replace batteries (more $$$) and check cameras. so having feeders involves time, money and work. now i have been out hunting this year probably 10 times and of the ten times i have only had deer come to my feeders while im sitting there 1 time. Now this is during the early season so right now they dont have to come in on my feeders to eat. So right now all my time money and work that i have been doing are not really paying off for me. what im getting at is not all baiting is just throwing a bag of corn out and the deer come running. it requires time, money and work ( you ever tried carrying two 50 pound bags of feed 200yards thru a plowed field just to turn around and do it again 15 minutes later? not fun!) and its not always succesful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.