Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Too Windy?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Spike

Default Too Windy?

Here in Southwest Iowa, had a large storm roll through and the wind is howlin 30mph. Should I stay home, or hit the stand? Your opinions please. new to site, first hunting site i have registered for, thanks for havin me. My name is Rick, love to bowhunt with my 3 sons. Hunting for 22 years now bow only.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

There are some days better spent at home with the kids. This is one of them.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

if your going to go out i would spot and stalk on these windy days the usually bed down. the good thing about the wind though is it hides the noise you make as you come in . play the wind and do some walking!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

A week or so from now I would say go still hunt because the bucks are cruising, but today you might as well stay in. But after this system passes it should be like flipping a switch. I am close to the NE corner of Iowa and it is really howling here.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Spike

Saw a nice buck last night cruisin and pushin some does around, with the weather changing so fast things are going to progress nicely, in my opinion, rut is right on schedule. Hope the wind stops blowing!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Well I will let you know i am sitting around bored so im going out to some public land for an evening hunt.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

I must agree with M. Magnis, hang out at home. Even if the deer are moving, I don't like the negative impact a 30 MPH wind (especially cross wind) has on arrow flight. So in an effort not to risk a poor shot and wounding a deer, I stay home!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

I'd also say spot and stalk, but I would try to stay completely out of your regular hunting area. Don't want too much activity in the area where you still hunt, could cause them to change their routine.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Ya here in ohio its the same 30mph winds wit gust up to 60mph. Im heading out now, but im guna be using the cross bow and the blind tonight. sitting in a tree with wind like that just dosnt seem like it would be fun.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

you can't kill'em on the couch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.