Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

After The Storm Passes

Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question After The Storm Passes

How long after severe weather passes through does it take the deer to get back into their normal patterns? We just had a front pass through and the temperature has droped at least 10 degrees with light drizzle which is tappering off this evening.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Get in a tree as soon as possible and stay there until dark!!!!!!! At this point, you cant go wrong.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

As soon as it's done raining be on stand because the deer are on there feet. Unless it's blowing 40-60 mph like it is here today. For the most part they will stay holed up until the wind die's down, unless they can get out of it, like in draws and valleys in hill country.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like already said. When the rain from a heavy rain storm finally stops for good the deer know it and are out immediately so be in your stand if possible. I sat in a tree stand during a torrential down pour for several hours one morning and just mins after it stopped for good I shot the biggest buck I have taken to date.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few minutes. Deer aren't that bothered by weather, even severe weather. Once it blows through and things settle down, it's business as usual for them.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

I got out like you all said and they were moving a little. First sighting at 5:30 was a large doe with two fawns about 7 months old or so,they were in the creek bottom eating nearby acorns about 80 yards away. 2nd deer a 6 point buck around 6:15 in the same spot same acorns, bigest buck I've seen at this property so far. Last two deer a medium size doe with a fawn at 20 yards a good range but when I looked at her with my sight I did not have enough light so I passed on the shot. I think I'll try geting further down in that creek bottom thursday night I have seen 6 deer there in two hunts. The creek is 30 yards to my left but they all seem to come into the area about 80 to 90 yards further down. Thanks for the encouragement to go out I only sat in rain for a half an hour then it cleared out around 4:30.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like the right move to me.