HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Spike Buck - Shoot or don't shoot? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332724-spike-buck-shoot-dont-shoot.html)

longrange1971 10-26-2010 08:07 AM

Spike Buck - Shoot or don't shoot?

I guess this is a der management question, but here goes. I have seen this large body spike several days in a row now, and decided to let him walk. However, yesterday I saw him and a small basket rack 6 pointer together. The spikes body size was fairly larger than the 6 pointer. I would have to guess that the spike may be older than 1 1/2 years old. What do you think? should I take him out of the heard or let him go? The spikes are only about 5 to 6 inches tall and fairly thin.

nctaxi 10-26-2010 08:21 AM

The problem is that you don't know the age. He could be a big bodied young deer. There have been some great studies, done as of late, that have proven against the theory that "once a spike, always a spike." Give him another year, make mental notes of certain body markings, and see what he becomes. Another thing to consider is that even with culling what you feel are inferior deer has little influence on a deer herd. Remember that does carry 50% of the genes that go towards the young.

Kybuckhunter 10-26-2010 08:26 AM

Unless you control thousands of acres of land you are wasting your time.

loverboy9_1_1 10-26-2010 08:28 AM

Let him walk!

PY Antlers 10-26-2010 10:30 AM

Let him go! In a couple of years he could be a whopper, Fact!

Jwood 10-26-2010 10:57 AM

If your hunting area is like mine, there's no telling whos waiting over the hill to shoot him if you pass him up. I say if he gives you a good shot, take'em.

live2hunt009 10-26-2010 11:35 AM

Pass on him. In order to see what a whitetails true potential is they need to be at least 4.5 years because thats usually when their antler growth peaks.

dusters84 10-26-2010 12:29 PM

I'd wait at least one more year until thinking about culling him. It's tough to tel just how old that deer is.

doall hunter 10-26-2010 12:36 PM

I agree with Nctaxi, Once a spike was held in captivity and grew to be a 175 inch deer. So let him walk, Give him a chance to grow something

kswild 10-26-2010 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by longrange1971 (Post 3709450)
I guess this is a der management question, but here goes. I have seen this large body spike several days in a row now, and decided to let him walk. However, yesterday I saw him and a small basket rack 6 pointer together. The spikes body size was fairly larger than the 6 pointer. I would have to guess that the spike may be older than 1 1/2 years old. What do you think? should I take him out of the heard or let him go? The spikes are only about 5 to 6 inches tall and fairly thin.

Are you hungry?
Live it up! Doug