Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Spike Buck - Shoot or don't shoot? >

Spike Buck - Shoot or don't shoot?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Spike Buck - Shoot or don't shoot?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Spike

Default Spike Buck - Shoot or don't shoot?

I guess this is a der management question, but here goes. I have seen this large body spike several days in a row now, and decided to let him walk. However, yesterday I saw him and a small basket rack 6 pointer together. The spikes body size was fairly larger than the 6 pointer. I would have to guess that the spike may be older than 1 1/2 years old. What do you think? should I take him out of the heard or let him go? The spikes are only about 5 to 6 inches tall and fairly thin.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The problem is that you don't know the age. He could be a big bodied young deer. There have been some great studies, done as of late, that have proven against the theory that "once a spike, always a spike." Give him another year, make mental notes of certain body markings, and see what he becomes. Another thing to consider is that even with culling what you feel are inferior deer has little influence on a deer herd. Remember that does carry 50% of the genes that go towards the young.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you control thousands of acres of land you are wasting your time.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Let him walk!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Let him go! In a couple of years he could be a whopper, Fact!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Spike

If your hunting area is like mine, there's no telling whos waiting over the hill to shoot him if you pass him up. I say if he gives you a good shot, take'em.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Pass on him. In order to see what a whitetails true potential is they need to be at least 4.5 years because thats usually when their antler growth peaks.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

I'd wait at least one more year until thinking about culling him. It's tough to tel just how old that deer is.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Nctaxi, Once a spike was held in captivity and grew to be a 175 inch deer. So let him walk, Give him a chance to grow something
Old 10-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by longrange1971
I guess this is a der management question, but here goes. I have seen this large body spike several days in a row now, and decided to let him walk. However, yesterday I saw him and a small basket rack 6 pointer together. The spikes body size was fairly larger than the 6 pointer. I would have to guess that the spike may be older than 1 1/2 years old. What do you think? should I take him out of the heard or let him go? The spikes are only about 5 to 6 inches tall and fairly thin.
Are you hungry?
Live it up! Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.