Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How would you hunt this

Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How would you hunt this

Went out to a new spot yesterday and looked around and found numerous rubs and scrapes. The place starts out with one old logging road, then another one intersects it and goes for about 60 yards into another one. Down the last one it takes you around the top of the ridge to a flat open spot with another old road running through it. Thing is all the roads except up to the flat spot and the last road are grown up trees fell over everywhere and almost impossible to set up and get a decent shot at. Next to the open area, there is an old watering hole about 50 yards away, that is tore up with tracts, rubs and scrapes all round it. Every little open spot in all the roads are tore up with scrapes and rubs also. I thought about settng up in the open area, because the road goes on down the holler a little ways, and i was thinking they may be bedding on down where it starts getting thick again. There are acorns everywhere also. What would you do in this situation? I think i explained everyting correctly but if something doesnt sound good or you need more explanitaion just let me know.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

I might be wrong, but I would set up.

Either at the water hole, early morning, or evening.
or where the thick stuff turns into the clear sopt.

JMHO
Old 10-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jrbsr
I might be wrong, but I would set up.

Either at the water hole, early morning, or evening.
or where the thick stuff turns into the clear sopt.

JMHO
That's what I was thinking. You know they'll be going to the water for a drink...just gotta catch em goin in. You also know they'll be in the thick stuff for cover, gotta catch em goin in or comin out though. Either spot would produce some deer I'm sure though. Personally I think I'd set up on the water hole.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the above advice and would add:
If it's legal to hunt from a tree stand, it might really help you see over and through all the fallen trees.
It sounds like you have a good population of deer there with food and water available. Should be a decent place to hunt.

Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies, Yes it is legal to use tree stands here, I have a climber ordered as a matter of fact lol...........

The deer just wanna be difficult, cause i could not find an actual scrape or rub line, they are just scattered around everywhere, unless there is a pattern to them that i just didnt notice.