HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   scent free not so scent free (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332538-scent-free-not-so-scent-free.html)

mufan 10-23-2010 07:05 PM

scent free not so scent free

Man, I have been popped by deer the last two times I've been out. the deer are crossing perpendicular to the path that I am walking in and smelling m trail in.....several hours after I've came through. Then they either jet immediately or start the stomping and sniffing around.

I take extra caution with scent.....shampoo, detergent, scentlok clothes, cover scent, and finally douce my boots with coon urine. But it just isn't working. Unless I figure out a way to teleport myself to my treestand then I don't know how to get in if they are smelling where I walk in. I don't have any good access points.

any suggestions.

SJAdventures 10-23-2010 07:27 PM

You wearing rubber boots too? Not sure what to tell you if coming in a different route is not an option. Maybe change cover scents on your boots to plain doe pee or fox urine. Confused as to why they are getting so spooked just cutting your trail in.

eureka77 10-23-2010 07:29 PM

If it was me I would thouroughly was and scrub my hunting boots with baking soda really good and then air dry then walk in without the coon scent.
They could possiby be relating the coon scent to that of a hunter who didn't use it properly and got busted and now the deer are wise to it in your area.
I guess another way in to your stand is out. There isn't really a way to have a deer not smell where ya walk. If my dog can track me in the woods with rubber boots on then I know the deer can as well.

One thing that has worked for me against my dog and the deer is a military chemical suit. Being in the military I have a couple and they work better then any scent-lok suit there is because of how thick they are and all the carbon in the suckers, the only thing is they're the old woodland pattern. I have had deer walk so close to me I could of touched them. I swear. But anyway since I have extra I cut one up and made like bootys to put over my boots while walking to my stand. Like boot wraps. Very effective, but I only do it when the deer are sensitive to foot traffic cause I kinda look like an idiot.

moducks38 10-23-2010 08:03 PM

When I am trapping I walk thru a creek be for I set traps or just walk thru mud you are making this too hard. Don’t go spend all your money on whoever is bottling raccoon pee. Do you really believe that its real raccoon pee?

iSnipe 10-23-2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by eureka77 (Post 3708063)
There isn't really a way to have a deer not smell where ya walk.

I only do it when the deer are sensitive to foot traffic...

Oh, really? There isn't a way?

And you know when deer are sensitive to foot traffic and when they are not?

Please explain. :confused0024:

iSnipe

mufan 10-23-2010 08:17 PM

I don't have rubber boots. Can you buy warm rubber boots and do they make enough of a difference to justify purchasing them?

I don't know if it is pure coon urine. I know I have trouble peeing in a bottle so I guess it would make sense that it would be difficult to make a coon do it.:s201:

eureka77 10-23-2010 08:24 PM

If a dog can track someone with their nose a deer with a super olfactory sense can as well. For the most part they aren't putting the scent with high danger and that's why they're not reacting negativly to it. Unless ya go to extremes they can smell where ya walked within a certain amount of time.
When I posted ''sensitive'' I was meaning high hunting pressure. Where any little human scent and they're on full alert and jumpy.
I can't tell if your trying to bust my balls or are just asking. I'm not trying to get in a pissing contest.
Anything I post is just my .02 cents. I'm not claiming to be an expert in anything only going from my expierences and what I come to think they mean.

Big Z 10-23-2010 08:27 PM

Too much coon piss?? I've used it with success, few squirts a boot

kswild 10-23-2010 10:38 PM

Scent control hahahahaha
Live it up! Doug

PY Antlers 10-23-2010 11:46 PM

Lose the coon pee and get rubber boots and store your stuff with leaves and mud etc., try and become natural............