Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scent free not so scent free

Old 10-24-2010, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe the deer are different where I hunt, but I wear my downey fresh camo and boots, in the car and house, and I walk right through thick laurel to my stand, and almost every time, several deer walk right down the same path, within 1 hour, and dont seem to smell a thing. I also pee right outta my stand and the deer walk right on it on.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kswild
Scent control hahahahaha
Live it up! Doug
that's basically how I feel about it myself hahah.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mufan
I don't have rubber boots. Can you buy warm rubber boots and do they make enough of a difference to justify purchasing them?

I don't know if it is pure coon urine. I know I have trouble peeing in a bottle so I guess it would make sense that it would be difficult to make a coon do it.
yeah muck boots. i bought a pair over lacrosse and man are they warm and comfortable to walk in too. i got mine $90. though at one of my spots i think the deer are dumb. i 2 in the same day come from behind with wind to my face
Old 10-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default deer

try not to go as deep into the woods.. If the deer are coming in the same way you do, dont go so deep. Find where their trail intercepts your trail and hunt downwind there. (if possible)
Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Maybe the deer are different where I hunt, but I wear my downey fresh camo and boots, in the car and house, and I walk right through thick laurel to my stand, and almost every time, several deer walk right down the same path, within 1 hour, and dont seem to smell a thing. I also pee right outta my stand and the deer walk right on it on.
So I was going down the the replys thinking to myself "wow am I the only one that dosnt do any of this?" Now I know im not and still have fantastic success.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mufan
Man, I have been popped by deer the last two times I've been out. the deer are crossing perpendicular to the path that I am walking in and smelling m trail in.....several hours after I've came through. Then they either jet immediately or start the stomping and sniffing around.

I take extra caution with scent.....shampoo, detergent, scentlok clothes, cover scent, and finally douce my boots with coon urine. But it just isn't working. Unless I figure out a way to teleport myself to my treestand then I don't know how to get in if they are smelling where I walk in. I don't have any good access points.

any suggestions.
Welcome to the world of deer hunting. If it was easy it wouldn't be this much fun.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HardwoodHunter
that's basically how I feel about it myself hahah.
Yea people can believe what they want. I can tell you cover scents don't work on deer. Hey if they want to spend their money on stuff they think works, I say go right ahead and knock yourself out. I'm not out to prove anything to anybody. They can hunt like they want and I'll continue to hunt like I do! Just trying to pass on a little wisdom learned from 45 years in the deer woods. I've said
" the truth is that if you are being busted by game animals it is because you are doing something else WRONG like not playing the wind, or being seen or heard.... instead of worrying about animals smelling you change your hunting tactics, sneak, stealth, ambush, the element of surprise, know the animal and how it lives,what it does where it eats, sleeps." This will get you a lot farther than spraying something on you and your boots and think your covering your scent and the deer can't smell ya.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Try taking a different path to your spot
Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Spike

In my opinion there is no way to cover your scent. I do try to wear clean clothes, not stinky with sweat, but if a deer is downwind, it's gonna smell you. I take that with a grain of salt and deal with it. Somebody mentioned the wind... that is your biggest factor. If you set up on a trail, and the wind changes direction every 5 minutes like it does around here, you're gonna get busted. Try to set up downwind of where you expect to see the deer. Also, get to the stand a little earlier... it sounds like they are already moving when you head into the woods. If nothing can be changed, then you go when you can and do the best that you can.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

You could have got a malfunctioned scentlok suite take it back and get a different one.Just Joking..I have never had a deer smell my tracks or at least not scare but my boots usually stink of livestock crap and pee have been busted in the blind tho I just accept it and hope for a better day the next time,about rut time everything changes in my opinion they dont seem to care about winding you cause they are more focused on a hot doe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.