Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scent free not so scent free

Old 10-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had great success with storing my clothes in a couple sealed container ($10 at Walmart) and throw a laundry bag (small holes to keep all the particles in it) filled with dead leaves. I also throw in a "earth Scent" waffer every few weeks during season. This will mask most of the scents in your clothes and boots.

It will only "mask" your scent to a person. Deer will smell you, dead leaves and the earth scent wafers. But if it gives you more confidence, carry on.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
It will only "mask" your scent to a person. Deer will smell you, dead leaves and the earth scent wafers.
The point is to minimize the "abnormal" or out of the ordinary scent for the location on your clothes. Will you ever be able to eliminate every particle of human scent on your boots? Probably not, but you can minimize it as much as possible and get something to cover that remaining scent. Will deer be able to pick up the most minuscule amount of human scent on your boots after its covered up with earth scent and/or various "cover urine", I doubt it. Its not like the deer is there smelling your boots directly. They just happen to come across a path in which your boots come across briefly. Since I have been focusing on eliminating my outside odors on my boots, I have not been busted. Now, early this season I did have a bruiser follow the same path I walked in on and just before he came into range and from behind some trees he smelled the fence that I crosses over on. I didn't wear gloves and touched the fence. So he spooked and went the other direction. Its all a matter of how the deer react in your area. Some are more cautious then others. I'm sure its related to how much pressure hunting wise that they get. Whatever you do, if it works for you, keep it up!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
Ky- I know and have hunted the exact kind of conditions you are describing. Mountains. Everybody always assumes that Kansas is wide open prairie and that is the case in the western part of the state. Where I live here in the eastern part of the state it is timber, woods, thick brush and flint hills. No matter where I hunt in the world the conditions and tactics change depending on weapon (rifle, bow, spear, muzzleloader, ect.) and game animal, but the basics never do: Know the habits of your game and where they are right now. Play the wind. If you know their habits you can-- even in swirling wind set up downwind to your advantage. Swirling wind confuses deer too. I understand what you are saying. I get busted too from time to time. I had a doe an fawn coming in and bedding about 60 yards from my blind a couple of years ago and they would bust me coming in every morning. I had to change my tactics.. stop going to that blind and set up down wind from them in a tree. But I didn't try to spray this and that on me and my gear. You can do that if you want to but changing your tactics will benefit you more.
Live it up! Doug
I know the habit of deer. However, I have two ways into my hunting area. There is only so much you can do with that. Its a small thick bedding area on my aunts farm and I don't have the large tracts of land to move a a large distance. I will often not hunt this place for a week or more waiting for the right wind. Like I said...not everyone has the same circumstance.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Will deer be able to pick up the most minuscule amount of human scent on your boots after its covered up with earth scent and/or various "cover urine".
Yes. If you leave the scent they will smell it regardless of any attempts to hide it. You can nutralize it somewhat, but cannot hide it.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Yes. If you leave the scent they will smell it regardless of any attempts to hide it. You can nutralize it somewhat, but cannot hide it.
That is pretty ignorant to say. Deer are not always going to smell your scent. I've had deer walk over the path I've walked in on plenty of times. Heck, I've even had deer lick the bottom peg I use to climb up to the stand. You can never fully eliminate your scent, but if you take good precautions and play the wind right you will usually be fine.