Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scent free not so scent free

Old 10-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Hehe...the ol' scent control debate again. FWIW, my opinion is that scent control is not about being scent free, despite what all the nay-sayers say...don't think anyone here says it's about being scent free. Rather, it's about keeping the amount of your scent below whatever threshold is that alarms deer in your area. In some areas, you can probably reek to high heaven and it won't bother them, while in others the smallest amount seems to set them off. It's all about tipping the odds in your favor. Personally, I don't spend money on scent-lok and all that...just wear rubber boots and wash up before hunting. Seems to work, and I know it works better than taking no steps because I bust fewer deer this way than before I started taking a few extra steps. Definitely hunt the wind and all that...something much easier out west than in the east where property boundaries really limit where you can move. But if you're forced to cross deer trails, etc, a little extra scent control doesn't hurt.

As to the OP, perhaps you're hunting too close to their bedding area. Deer know their bedding and feeding areas better than their transit areas, so maybe if you back off a bit you'll alarm them less. It's possible that even the small amount of scent/pressure that you're leaving in or near their bedding area is setting them off. I had this problem a couple of years ago in one area, and I found that relocating 200 yards further away resulted in seeing more deer, and not spooking the ones I saw. Seems like hunting inside a large buck's bedding area is a 1 or 2 time deal, because after that they'll relocate on you.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I also pee right outta my stand and the deer walk right on it on.
Trust me, the deer are different in your area. Now if your gun hunting, you might as well through the scent tactics out the window. They are off their normal pattern and running everywhere. Bow hunting you have become invisible to get a close shot.

It sounds like you might be doing too much. I have had great success with storing my clothes in a couple sealed container ($10 at Walmart) and throw a laundry bag (small holes to keep all the particles in it) filled with dead leaves. I also throw in a "earth Scent" waffer every few weeks during season. This will mask most of the scents in your clothes and boots. Also, DO NOT wear your clothes until you get to your stand. I wear jeans and a sweater out of my house and driving to my location. When you get there change into your clothes (in extreme cold weather just throw on your coveralls or bibs and such) and your boots. The biggest mistake I see people making is walking around in your boots all over the place. Only wear your boots while hunting and back to your car. You should only need a few squirts (2-3 per boot) of cover scent. Too much and the deer will know that something is up. Something I've thought of, but haven't tried is: Get a water tight bag (look in camping section at Walmart for about $10). Get an new rag and spray it with cover scent (earth scent). Place it on the bottom of your boots. Take a new ACE bandage and wrap the boot up. This will keep the rag on the bottom of the boots. Now store the boots during the off season. If I'm correct, the boots will somewhat absorb the scent and should be good to go. If nothing else, it shouldn't hurt. I think it will keep the tread locked with the earth scent. Going to try it this off season. Not an expert, just my 2 cents.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Spike

This is going to sound smart-alec, but I don't really mean it that way! If you are wearing your boots, and you are walking on the Earth, won't the boots smell like the Earth? How can a spray make them smell more like the soil if you have been walking in the soil? If you kick around in the dirt, they should smell like dirt. if you wear them when you wash your dog pen... well... you get the idea.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

i have 800 gram Thinsulate lacross boots that my wife bought me for i think right around 150 dollars and they are worth the money. what i do is keep them between my tool box and the back window on my truck so nothing ever comes in contact with them and i dont wear them any other time unless i am deer hunting but i am very careful and not touch the sole of the boots and spray them with my scent killer spray really good and i have never had a deer bust me from walking with there nose to the ground on the same trail that i walked in on in fact last time i was in the stand i had 7 deer come in the same trail that i walked in on and not one knew i was ever there. and 2 of those 7 deer didnt make it out of there a live.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

I like using deer dander by Team Fitzgerald I figure u got a better chance making yourself smell like a deer than trying to eliminate your scent. You can spend all your hard earned money on the best scent locker suits and camo sure they will prolly help but the best recipe for success in my book is just being out there and playing the wind. I shot the buck in my avatar last weekend wearing rubber boots blue jeans and a sweat shirt and he never knew I was there.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Brent B
I like using deer dander by Team Fitzgerald I figure u got a better chance making yourself smell like a deer than trying to eliminate your scent. You can spend all your hard earned money on the best scent locker suits and camo sure they will prolly help but the best recipe for success in my book is just being out there and playing the wind. I shot the buck in my avatar last weekend wearing rubber boots blue jeans and a sweat shirt and he never knew I was there.
Great buck! Thanks for proving my point that a hunter doesn't NEED all the fancy cover scents and camo to be able to get close and take deer!
Live it up@ Doug
Old 10-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Well with 45 years of experience I'd say you'd know a thing or 2 lol and why change it now if it's worked all those years. I've hunted for 10 years now and have been in the woods with my dad since I was 3 years old so i've picked up a few things over the years.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Floss your teeth!

And lose the coon pee.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
" the truth is that if you are being busted by game animals it is because you are doing something else WRONG like not playing the wind, or being seen or heard.... instead of worrying about animals smelling you change your hunting tactics, sneak, stealth, ambush, the element of surprise, know the animal and how it lives,what it does where it eats, sleeps." This will get you a lot farther than spraying something on you and your boots and think your covering your scent and the deer can't smell ya.
Live it up! Doug

Everyone has a different circumstance. I know where I hunt it is very hard to get to my area without getting busted. The wind swirls and the area is land locked that I hunt. I hunt woods and thickets and deer are always close by. I can bust deer walking in at any time. There is no way around it unless I could fly.

The area you hunt and the landscape has a lot to do with not getting busted. If i hunted a wide open Kansas area that I could slip in to my stand that would be great but many places like mine are a different story. It isn't necessarily something someone is doing wrong. Even when you do everything to your ability to be cautious there are times you will get busted.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
Everyone has a different circumstance. I know where I hunt it is very hard to get to my area without getting busted. The wind swirls and the area is land locked that I hunt. I hunt woods and thickets and deer are always close by. I can bust deer walking in at any time. There is no way around it unless I could fly.

The area you hunt and the landscape has a lot to do with not getting busted. If i hunted a wide open Kansas area that I could slip in to my stand that would be great but many places like mine are a different story. It isn't necessarily something someone is doing wrong. Even when you do everything to your ability to be cautious there are times you will get busted.
Ky- I know and have hunted the exact kind of conditions you are describing. Mountains. Everybody always assumes that Kansas is wide open prairie and that is the case in the western part of the state. Where I live here in the eastern part of the state it is timber, woods, thick brush and flint hills. No matter where I hunt in the world the conditions and tactics change depending on weapon (rifle, bow, spear, muzzleloader, ect.) and game animal, but the basics never do: Know the habits of your game and where they are right now. Play the wind. If you know their habits you can-- even in swirling wind set up downwind to your advantage. Swirling wind confuses deer too. I understand what you are saying. I get busted too from time to time. I had a doe an fawn coming in and bedding about 60 yards from my blind a couple of years ago and they would bust me coming in every morning. I had to change my tactics.. stop going to that blind and set up down wind from them in a tree. But I didn't try to spray this and that on me and my gear. You can do that if you want to but changing your tactics will benefit you more.
Live it up! Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.