Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
mechanical broadheads in blinds >

mechanical broadheads in blinds

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

mechanical broadheads in blinds

Old 10-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default mechanical broadheads in blinds

How well does a shoot through screen on a blind work with mechanical broadheads. I have killed a doe this year shooting through the screen wih my muzzys which are fixed blade but im letting my buddy sit in it tommorrow and he shoots mechanical broadheads. Anybody tried this? thanks for the help
Old 10-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Spike

Think if you check the heads website it will probably say not to shoot threw the mesh.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Not recomended, I wouldn't do it.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

thnks guys i appreciate it
Old 10-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Fork Horn

I also been hunting out of a blind this year only cuz of the terain I'm hunting in. And also use mechanicals.before season opened I tested shooting thew the mesh and it worked 1s out of 5 shots. They catch on the mesh and throw them off into a diffrent direction
Old 10-23-2010, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The idea of test shooting "before" an actual hunt sounds like sage advice to me. "If" it were just a case of different point of impact, that could be compensated for, but if the blades are opening at the mesh, then there will be inconsistent problems.

Your buddy will most likely have to drop the mess slightly. If he hasn't shot through a blind hole before, be sure he knows where his stabilizer and upper/lower limbs are and how they flex and recoil after the shot to prevent any shooting mistakes.

iSnipe
Old 10-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Spike

This is what I've done for my aging father...in each of the window's mesh I've cut a vertical slit approx. 1ft in length (the "main window" has 2..about 4 inches apart). At the ends of the slits I've sewn the meshing together to prevent further tearing. This works great since the meshing along the slit "rolls back" giving about a 3-4" opening. I know this doesn't sound like much of an opening, but when your arrowtip, or rifle bore, is in the opening you fov is almost unhampered. At 15yds the slits are slightly noticable, but it's better than a gaping black hole/spot.
That's my 2 cents.