HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   question for ground blind hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332422-question-ground-blind-hunters.html)

wildchild04 10-21-2010 08:32 PM

question for ground blind hunters

What do you do and/or how do you clear the area that you set the ground blind up?

Do you just make some noise setting up and clear leaves with your boot and a hands?

I'm thinking about looking for a small rake to take with me,... any ideas appreciated.

I hunt public ground, and would love to take a grass trimmer to get to bare dirt, but I don't think the warden would like my idea.

I just feel like whenever I move, I make enough noise for the deer in the next county to hear me.

Bloodsaw 10-21-2010 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by wildchild04 (Post 3707068)
What do you do and/or how do you clear the area that you set the ground blind up?

Do you just make some noise setting up and clear leaves with your boot and a hands?

I'm thinking about looking for a small rake to take with me,... any ideas appreciated.

I hunt public ground, and would love to take a grass trimmer to get to bare dirt, but I don't think the warden would like my idea.

I just feel like whenever I move, I make enough noise for the deer in the next county to hear me.

scrape the leaves back with your foot and stop worrien...

a deer that was 500 + yards away that morning might come past your blind, do you think that deer heard you moving leaves? lmao heck no ... ger-er-done

iSnipe 10-22-2010 04:56 AM

If you do it right, you just may call in a buck thinking another buck is making a scrape. No lie! LOL!

Blinds aren't that big, so in short order you'll have the area void of leaves. Just walk in slow, pick your spot, clear and set the blind up.(use hands or boot) It really helps to get in early too so that things "settle down" as they say.

Often I'll take the leaves, push some together and gently pick them up with my gloved hands(cold out) and lay them outside the area where the blind is going to be. I've also just set the blind up and then cleared the leaves to the sides once inside it. It does suppress some of the noise if you want to be more stealth.

iSnipe

SavageArms 10-22-2010 08:36 AM

Set the blind just after 1300 of the previous day let it sit in place with a good cover scent get in it early the next day and just be quiet or if your worried about the leaves that much wait till it rains and throw it up no noise that way.

DoeDown 10-22-2010 06:34 PM

Could also use an old blanket. I picked up a cheap fleece one(9.99) at cabelas and was surprised how much it helped cut the noise down. Now if I could just get the deer to walk on the side of the blind I have the windows down :(

Cannonw24 10-23-2010 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by DoeDown (Post 3707628)
Could also use an old blanket. I picked up a cheap fleece one(9.99) at cabelas and was surprised how much it helped cut the noise down. Now if I could just get the deer to walk on the side of the blind I have the windows down :(

They smell the fleece...:happy0157: