Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Was I just dreaming?

Old 10-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Spike

Good to see I'm not the only one in the boat, Blackhawk. My family and I are going through some pretty rough times right now due to some job changes. My wife just got a new job this week and hopefully it will turn things around for us. Back to the story. She has always shrugged her nose at the thought of eating squirrels, but she tried it the other night when that was all there was to eat. She loved it, said it tasted like chicken and frog legs. Not everything is bad when you are struggling to make ends meet. My 8 yr old son killed his first squirrel this year and I have been killing my share. Hang in there Blackhawk, I sit and think the same thoughts when I am alone in the woods, on a beautiful crisp morning. Also, I think about all the people in the world who don't appreciate it. This is my .02 worth. Good luck everyone hunting this year, and stay safe.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deer meat gets us through sometimes here too.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

I suspected others have been in the same situation at some point in there life good to hear all your stories,funny thing about you bringing up them squirrels is I have had several in bow range and had not even thought about shooting because I was so determined to bag a deer, I could of had some good baked squirrel ,I am going to have to start thinking a little harder when I am out there,good story thanks for telling.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
The deer meat gets us through sometimes here too.
It is good eating,I would take a deer burger over a cow burger any day of the week.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Believe it or not but its a way of life for some people in WI. They live off the land. Grow gardens, can food such as venison and veggies. Most of the time it's a pretty sad story they tell. One guy told me that when he was a kid, he lived on a farm and had a nice house until a fire took everything. They had nothing, no insurance, no cattle left, NOTHING. One day the father handed the two boys a rifle and said "don't come back until you get dinner" It was the way they grew up, nobody said anything and this was in the 60-70's. Shot only enough deer to feed themselves, hunted rabbits, squirrels everything. Traded fur for guns and bullets he said. Anyways these people don't pay taxes, don't have electric, no running water, just what nature gives them. They have no problem surviving the winters and summers so in a way I envy them.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Dreaming

What is a squarels?

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
agree with you 100%. I've got family that had hard times and when a 80 year old women can't eat enough game laws can go to h***. Sh asked me to go get her some food and at the time I had no cash so I got her 3 squarels outta season but gotta do what ya gotta do. If you need food bad enough take out the rifle try and not ge caught but it beats starving. I'm sure some will flame me for this but oh well we all gotta live and make do the best we can.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I was in need in the early 80s..I bought a cast net and we ate a lot of Nile Perch

I also cut lawns,,,my wife baby sitted

If I had access to a place to hunt and was in need...I'd take out a deer and thank God for it..but my hunting place is miles away.

In the Bible ,David was hungry..he took Holy Bread from the Temple...you do what ya gotta do
Old 11-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do all these "hungry people who need to hunt year round" smoke, drink, have internet, cable tv, etc, etc, etc? Our forefathers got by with none of these.

Do they work sunrise to sunset (or more) 7 days a week, have a garden, can/dry their own food, repair and handown all clothes, recycle and reuse everything? Our forefathers did.

We need to reduce the population by at least 95% before allowing hunt anytime for food, or the game populations would be wiped out in less then a decade. Any volunteers?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I have to agree with SteveBNY...before we should OK poaching..you need to be free of Internet ,Cell Phones , VIdeo ,Boom Box and yout TV..

and have been turned down from social services about recieving food stamps..then it may be OK ..but remembe if your caught you are in a bigger hole.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
I have all the guns that I need to harvest an animal but cant because it is not gun season,so I find myself having to go out with a bow and saw plenty of meat right in front of my face but everything was just out of bow range,I thought about taking the rifle out but I didn't ,even though in my mind I know that there would have been nothing wrong with doing this in the situation that I was in.
I've never understood why we have different seasons. There is absolutely no difference in killing a deer with a bow, muzzleloader, or rifle. Either way the deer is dead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.