Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
more than a little ticked at my wife >

more than a little ticked at my wife

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

more than a little ticked at my wife

Old 10-22-2010, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the deer can smell your clothes, they can smell you. I wash my clothes in regular flower scented detergent w/ my street clothes, and wear em in the house and truck, killed a nice 8 point at 20yds the other day, and had 6 other deer all around my stand with swirling winds, just get up high, and dont worry about what your clothes smell like, or what color they are. If its really important to you, just use baking soda to wash them.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
I'm not sure how I feel about the UV stuff. I have never worried about UV and I have seen more then my fair share of deer up close. I always wash my clothes at the end of the season in regular detergent and then put them in a storage bag with a scent wafer for the off season. I am not sure what clued the deer onto you but people have been killing deer for a lot longer then UV killers have been around. I personally don't know one single person who messes with the UV killers. Not sure what the percentage on here is but I've never seen them used.
I didn't even know there were UV killing products, but it doesn't surprise me, and I'm not sure I would buy into them. But I think the fact that almost all detergents have UV brighteners in them is the issue, so the hunters that have been killing deer for longer than UV killers have been around were also killing deer before UV brighteners were added to clothing material and laundry detergent.

Originally Posted by Valentine
I formerly used some non scented detergent that was free of brighteners. Now I just use a homemade batch of baking soda and borax and add a drop or two of unscented liquid soap.
That's what I do, minus the drop of soap. I have no set ratio though. I just fill up the first 2 or 3 inches of the washer with hot water and stop it, pour in a good amount of borax and probably around a half cup of baking soda and stir it around vigorously with a yard stick or broom handle. Then I let the washer finish filling up with cold water and then put my hunting clothes in. Then I hang them over the fence to dry, unless it is night time and I need them the next day (and for some reason they need to be washed).

Originally Posted by Valentine
Of course, it would be hard to convince a hunter who buys his hunting detergent, and expensive I might add, from a sporting goods store. Everybody knows what experts they are, at washing clothes.
LOL, that is awesome.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

When it comes to hunting, I don't let the wife touch a thing, period. I wash the clothes each week in scent-free detergent, unfortunately, when you go to dry them, they've got that static-guard scent in the dryer from those throw in sheets that just doesn't want to go away. I just hang-dry the clothes in the furnance room, and when dry, place them in a bag with some pine cones.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Well i believe in the uv thing ... have seen it happen many times with my buds ... just not use to it happening to me . I have been hunting a few years now myself and i never had these problems till about 15 years ago.Phosphates were added to detergents.. and labeled brighteners ... they do glow under a uv light and the uv light is the broadest spectrum of light a deer can see. As far as the scent free thing i almost always used a backing soda wash for my clothes . Started using the sport wash uv system and no problem.The armed services recognize the uv problem and make sure that clothes are protected for the soldiers. I use unscented toiletry products and spray my clothes with a pine/ earth cover scent.To each his own i guess.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

dont believe in it. I use scent away when I dont forget it at the house, but i dont religiously believe in it