Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
more than a little ticked at my wife >

more than a little ticked at my wife

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

more than a little ticked at my wife

Old 10-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default more than a little ticked at my wife

Do to the fact i haven't been able to find my old stand by scent control /uv blocker i have been using another commercial brand clothes wash. First few weeks of bow season i have been picked off 4 times by deer.... not moving or even thinking about shooting ... wind in my face .... Only thing different is the soap ... sniffed it cant smelll a thing ....pondered it for a day ... asked my wife if she washed my clothes at the end of the season as i keep them in a tote in the laundry room .... yup she sure did they smelled like dirt and pine trees ....not a problem because i wash them before season but im betting its the uv brightener in the regular detergent...what do you guys think and anybody know where i can find atsko uv killer products in central ny .
Old 10-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Walmart has them in the camping section for some reason here.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure how I feel about the UV stuff. I have never worried about UV and I have seen more then my fair share of deer up close. I always wash my clothes at the end of the season in regular detergent and then put them in a storage bag with a scent wafer for the off season. I am not sure what clued the deer onto you but people have been killing deer for a lot longer then UV killers have been around. I personally don't know one single person who messes with the UV killers. Not sure what the percentage on here is but I've never seen them used.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

I dont know weather to laugh or cry,there will be times when deer are going to bust you regardless of what you are washing or spraying on your clothes,you say you are washing with a no scent soap im no scientist but but in my opinion if your soap has no scent then your clothes are going to pick up scent from previous loads of laundry,I have been in blue jeans and a shirt arrowheading the river banks and 3 deer came out of the woods to get a drink of water they are 50 yards or so and they saw me and walked to within 35 yards of me before they ever even noticed me and im on a wide open river bank wearing a white shirt and bluejeans..save your money and buy something useful.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dunno about what damage or help she did for you, but it is interesting reading all the same. Have heard it happen before so your not the first.

I have been told that you can buy 3 pairs of same jeans and same brand of t-shirt at the same time. Look at them under a bug zapper light just as they were from the store and see how they glow.

Then wash one pair in regular detergent, the second pair in scent, UV free detergent, third pair, do nothing to them at all, and see what they look like after they dry under the light again. U decide and go from there. Worse case scenerio, you have 3 new pairs of pants and t-shirts.

Last edited by SecondChance; 10-20-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it would make that much of a difference. I wash mine with regular detergent sometimes as well and all other times with baking soda. I have been within 6 feet of elk and deer at ground level and it doesn't seem to bother them.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

It was an honest mistake she meant well trying to keep your stuff clean so I would'nt be angry at her over that. Your better off being at peace with your soulmate while hunting than being angry or frustrated over this don't you think? Correct the error and give her a hug then go and get her some meat,all will be well and you will have a clear mind for focusing on the hunt. Good Hunting.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

You're waisting your money!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MD DEERHUNTER
You're waisting your money!
agreed
Old 10-22-2010, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The problem to me

is putting the non-hunting wife in charge of washing the hunting clothes, in the first place.
As I recall, it took me a few years to get the wife to stop using the smelly detergents on the commercial market, for our regular clothes.
That smell can last for weeks in a clothes dryer, upsetting any use of expensive hunting detergent in the washer.

I formerly used some non scented detergent that was free of brighteners. Now I just use a homemade batch of baking soda and borax and add a drop or two of unscented liquid soap.

I got so good, I use my homemade formula on all my non-hunting clothes. And the wife doesn't complain at all.

Of course, it would be hard to convince a hunter who buys his hunting detergent, and expensive I might add, from a sporting goods store. Everybody knows what experts they are, at washing clothes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.