Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how close is too close??

Old 10-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default how close is too close??

I have several friends that camp pretty close to me. We are on a 34,000 acre lease so there is plenty of room to hunt. Anyway several times in the past if I mention where I am hunting they go in and hang stands. For example I had a spot for my kids on the youth hunt that started Friday and I told them where we would be. Thursday night they stopped to let me know they hung a stand there too. When they figured out I was upset they said they were hunting a different set of deer 300 yards from me. I told them I was hunting a point with 2 trails up it and they cut one off plus if I have to move for a closer shot I can't. I took my stand down. Should I tell them to hunt elsewhere when they do this or am I the one being an ass?? They have done this 6-8 times in the past 3 years. I feel like I am doing all the scouting for them!!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Just a bit more info: the point leads to a bedding area up high and spreads out a couple hundred yards wide at the bottom with a trail going to hardwoods straight off and a big mineral lick if you angle off the side. It is not really a distance issue but I think I was cut off. What are your thoughts on handling this with no hard feelings? I will not hunt there but do not want to feel followed again.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Spike

If you're hunting 34,000 acres and they're only a few of yall, yes that it bad on their part. Why you would hunt 300 yds from someone with THAT MUCH LAND is just dumb.

I think you're right.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

We have less than 100 people hunting it!!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Spike

I would say next time they ask where you are hunting, tell them a place on the other side of the property of where you actually intend to hunt. With that much land, there's no reason for them to be right on top of you like that.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Spike

Well, a case can be made about "the sincerest form of flattery" in that they rely on your scouting and your expertise is selecting a certain area............ That being said, I would select area that I did NOT intend to hunt. I would sacrifice an afternoon, and really make it look like I was interested in the area (like erecting a stand, maybe constructing a ground blind, make shooting lanes, hanging yardage markers, leaving hunting gear (drag rope, empty scent container, etc).......... Then I would REALLY advertise about this NEW HOT SPOT and provide very accurate description on how to get there.............. Then I would really find the spot I wanted to hunt and NOT tell anyone!!!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

From now on I would tell them something that was opposite from where I was going. That sounds like plenty of room, 1 per 340 acres, even with the open land ya'll probably have.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

tell them a place on the other side of the property of where you actually intend to hunt.
yea give them GPS cords for grand lake or texoma
Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Spike

HMMMMMMM, sounds like "radlad" and "timbercruiser" have a devious mentality, just like me !!!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Have not thought of doing that but it may work!! Probably better than my idea of burning up about 300 rounds of low brass squirrel hunting right by them on opening day. A guy told me yesterday deer camp is where you see who your friends really are and I think he is right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.