HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Pass it on. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332268-pass.html)

WI Bow Hunter 10-19-2010 06:55 PM

Pass it on.

My grand father got me into hunting when I was probably 8 years old, maybe 7. In the state of Wisconsin, you had to be 12 to carry a rifle legally at the time.

I hunted from 7 or 8 till the time I was 12 by doing nothing but being a work horse and a driver for the group (at the time when I started it was my grandfather, two great uncles, some cousins and friends) and I loved every day of it. I remember being so upset once when my mom wouldn't let me play hooky from school to hunting.

I have two half brothers Nick 15 and Dakota 13 neither of which ever were introduced to deer hunting by my grandfather or myself, until now. My brothers and myself were never very close due to me being gone due to split custody between my parents.

My grandfather passed away in September and neither of my brothers ever had the chance to hunt with him. Since then Dakota has wanted to do nothing but get into hunting, so my mom finally signed them up for hunters safety (both brothers and my little sister).

Tonight I got done with work at a fairly decent time so I headed home to pick up my truck, gear, and ground blind. Stopped by my ma's house and asked the brothers if either of them wanted to go hunting. After a little persuasion Dakota, who was in the middle of playing a video game, said he would go along.

Grabbed him an extra camo jacket that was 3 sizes too big and headed out. We got out to some property that I hunt, where I shot my buck last year, and headed out across the field. I think he thought he was going to get off easy, and not have to do anything but he was wrong lol. Made him help carry gear since I had the blind, bow, and other equipment he got to lug my backpack and 5 gallon pales across the 600yard field (he got off easy, I've hauled too many deer up hills half a mile back for my grandfather lol).

We arrived at a spot that I opted would be suitable for us to set up the blind and I quickly had us ready to hunt.

We got set, sat in the blind zipped everything up. I gave it about 5 minutes and hit my grunt call lightly just to see if anything would come out of curiosity. Not even 2 minutes later a doe, came bolting from the adjoining field to the back of ours. Stopped and kept looking back where it had just come from.

The doe then stopped, calmed down and started grazing back the way it came, then jumped the fence and went on its way, I assumed since there's too much brush between the fields, that there were other deer there. Dakota was the one that spotted the doe in the first place, and I think he's hooked. Although we didn't see anything else for the rest of the hunt, I think it was a great experience for both of us. I loved the sight of him 30 yards back though carrying the buckets for us to sit on and the, "slow down" look on his face. Not trying to be mean, just remember the feeling myself lol.

I'm just glad that I'm able to help pass it on. For me this is what hunting is all about, being able to help teach others and preserving the tradition.

So what is hunting to you? Thrill of the hunt? Tradition? Spending time with loved ones that you normally wouldn't get to spend time with?

ek_buckmaster 10-19-2010 07:17 PM

I love every aspect of hunting. I haven't been given the opportunity to teach someone close to me to hunt yet, but i know im already excited to teach my children. I also love spending the time with my family. Im still young and I love seeing that look on my dads face after I make the right choice while in the woods or when i drop a big buck. I've been lucky enough to have 4 bucks big enough to put on my wall and I just turned 20 a couple months ago. Each and every time I think he was almost as excited as I was when we would walk up on these deer.
Thanks for this thread and teaching someone younger than you and getting them into the way of life. I know they will look up to you like you looked up to your grandfather.

UPHunter08 10-20-2010 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by WI Bow Hunter (Post 3705685)
So what is hunting to you? Thrill of the hunt? Tradition? Spending time with loved ones that you normally wouldn't get to spend time with?

Yes :)

Good for you for passing on the tradition. Some of my best childhood memories are of me and my dad hunting, and going to camp with the guys. I've taken my kids bird hunting since they were two (in backpack carriers). The oldest will probably start joining me on deer hunts next year. My best time with the kids is when we're out in the woods, away from modern distractions. They have a thousand questions about what they see and hear, and just watching them play around, explore, and have fun is a thrill to me.

rosco1099 10-20-2010 06:43 AM

Wow...memories of childhood came flooding back after reading this thread. I remember stalking behind my dad, following him footstep for footstep. Him stopping and scanning and then showing me where to look. Then, when I was old enough, I'd hunt from a stand and he would stalk, trying to push deer my way. My dad is alot older now but I think I might ask him to go with me this year and put him in a stand and try to push one his way, just to return the favor!

sea_bee77 10-20-2010 06:55 AM

great post and story. i am 33 and this will be my fifth year hunting. i was raised around hunting as a child but my dad just never was into deer hunting so we were never introduced to it. after my second year me and my brother decided to get my dad a bow for christmas and its been the best gift we have gotten him. he loves bowhunting just as much if not more than we do. ive always been close to my dad but this has brought us even closer. he would have gotten into it with us when we started but didnt think he could pull the bow back. he is 64 now and lives and breathes deer hunting. his only regret is not starting as a kid. he thinks about all the years hes lost but never will forget a day hes spent in the woods. ive had the honor of passing this beautiful sport onto my dad and cant wait to pass it on to my children.

mac266 10-20-2010 09:34 AM

My oldest just turned four. I'm starting him on shooting next year and we'll play when to take him hunting by ear. I'm looking forward to it.