HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Move stand or not? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332201-move-stand-not.html)

Bosephus9 10-19-2010 07:22 AM

Move stand or not?

For two years now I have had a little "honey hole" twenty acres with an L shaped fence along the property line. Deer funneled around this L in huge numbers seeing anywhere from 20 to 30 deer an evening. My stand is place about twenty yards on off of the corner of the L. Also have taken two really nice deer there the last two years in late October. This year I am not seeing the deer and the ones I am seeing are on the other side of the fence by a good margin (75 to 80 yards). I have some buck activity on my side, but with the rut approaching and not seeing any bucks during light I am wondering about a stand move. Is this a good idea this far into the season and with some buck activity close to my current stand? I fear that with rut approaching and does using a different route I may miss the boat on a nice deer. I know deer patterns change, but this change is pretty drastic.

deernutz 10-19-2010 02:59 PM

Leave it alone. Dont get to ansie pantsie. You had luck in the past. Just let off the stand give some breathing room. I would go back in Late Oct. If you have a camera let that little thing do the hunting.

*twodogs* 10-19-2010 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by deernutz (Post 3705512)
Leave it alone. Dont get to ansie pantsie. You had luck in the past. Just let off the stand give some breathing room. I would go back in Late Oct. If you have a camera let that little thing do the hunting.

That is great advise right there. Rut is coming, it has produced before, don't over hunt it before the action starts, i.e camera...

lswoody 10-19-2010 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by *twodogs* (Post 3705537)
That is great advise right there. Rut is coming, it has produced before, don't over hunt it before the action starts, i.e camera...

I agree too.

iSnipe 10-19-2010 05:41 PM

I never count on one stand for my success. Yeah, we all have a "go to" place, but at times the only placing we're going to, is back to the truck empty handed. LOL! Take this time to scout other places as well.

Also, if it were me, I'd want to know why the large displacement of deer travel. It almost always reveals itself by taking a quick scouting walk... and usually comes down to cover being removed, water source gone or food availability is not longer there.

Why move the stand? Why not scout for a new stand in that same area and while you're doing that, investigate what happened and why all of a sudden, the drastic deer movement change.

Over hunting or spending too much time in a area can get the deer to change their travel habits. They can scout your movement behavior just as you can theirs.

iSnipe

deernutz 10-19-2010 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
iSnipe good point. There are many variables to look into. Bose dont worry I had a bunch of bucks on camera last month. Then nothing for two weeks. Now I have bucks I have never seen before. Nice ones for SC. Gonna go get him tomorrow with my bow. Don't move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!:fighting0007:

KCbuckeye22 10-19-2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by iSnipe (Post 3705628)

Also, if it were me, I'd want to know why the large displacement of deer travel. It almost always reveals itself by taking a quick scouting walk... and usually comes down to cover being removed, water source gone or food availability is not longer there.

Why move the stand? Why not scout for a new stand in that same area and while you're doing that, investigate what happened and why all of a sudden, the drastic deer movement change.

Over hunting or spending too much time in a area can get the deer to change their travel habits. They can scout your movement behavior just as you can theirs.

iSnipe

Totally agree. Doing some scouting could reveal something. Maybe the neighbors planted some BIOLOGIC...LOL.