HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Questions, for the pros. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332199-questions-pros.html)

Justin3373 10-19-2010 07:16 AM

Questions, for the pros.

Ok we hunt on a friends land in Texas. Does the land owner have to have a kind of permit or something to allow us to shoot a doe? This year we are hoping to take down 2 deer and maybe 3. If we went for 3 I would want to take 1 doe so the bucks can get a little bigger for the next year.

Second, when you shoot a deer in a area does this cause the deer to not go around that area as much. Or will they come back. I’m talking about in the same season. I know they would probably come back the next season.

Third, I believe it’s called a scrape where the dirt is torn up and there is urine in one spot and it’s under a branch. Is this a good thing, and if it is how do we get the most benefit from it.

iSnipe 10-19-2010 05:06 PM

The first part you'll have to consult with your state hunting regulations.(I'm assuming such)

Typically shooting a deer in a certain area... as well as gutting it, etc, will not spook to the deer as so far as to have them leave the area. In fact, if you hunt enough and have hunted one spot several times right after the kill scene or gut pile, you'll notice some go right up to it. I'm also talking about doe groups, spikes, forks, smaller 6's and similar. I haven't yet been fortunate enough to see a Big Boy walk in to investigate. :biggrin: I also make sure I drag the deer off far enough away when I do gut them.

Yes, the scrape under the "licking" branch is a good thing! :happy0001: There are also ones that are not as productive for larger bucks, if that's your thing. I've haven't had much luck with scrapes that border the edge of fields during late morning to early evening. I've seen more in that situation at early mornings and later evenings. I do prefer scrapes in spots that appear to be in thicker and out of the way areas, so to speak. I also get a little more excited on ones where there's rubs around as well as many does. I think the more open scrapes are more apt to be visited during the later darker hours of the night... unless it's a strong rut where bucks can be anywhere at any time. You don't need to add urine or lure to the scrape if you don't want. If you take your rubber or clean boot or even a stick, and scrape up some of the dirt to "freshen" it up a bit, that'll be enough to get their visual attention. Then they'll at least stop and have a quick whiff.

iSnipe

Justin3373 10-20-2010 11:21 AM

So you can make Scrapes?

npaden 10-20-2010 01:25 PM

In most of Texas you can shoot at least 2 does and 1 buck. Some counties allow up to 3 does and 2 bucks. Here's the list by county.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ounty_listing/

Generally if you shoot a deer it might cause deer to change their patterns for a day or two but not for the entire season. I've watched deer go right up to a gut pile of another deer that was shot as recently as the day before.

Scrapes are a good indication that there are bucks in the area, but not necessarily a good place to hunt. Most scrape activity takes place at night.

Good luck.

iSnipe 10-20-2010 01:27 PM

Sure, they are called mock scrapes. If you make one, be sure to have a branch over it so the deer can rub their glands on it as well as lick it. I like to have the branch about 5ft. high minimum and I use deer urines and lures in the scrape as well as some lures on the licking branch.

I mainly use them not to attract deer, as they are already walking by anyway, but to get them to stop for a shot in a spot that is an advantage to me.

iSnipe