Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts? >

Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

the suspense is KILLING ME.

You def. have a dead deer not far away. Hopefully, the dogs didn't get to it too bad.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

My point is, If you are hunting with a gun and decide to shoot a deer at dusk, and know that you are unable to trail in the AM if necessary, you can choose to shoot the deer through the shoulders or use a high shoulder shot to maximize the chance it will drop. I do the same thing when I'm hunting near a property boundary. In those situations, if I can't shoot to anchor the deer I don't shoot.

No, all deer don't drop magically, but if you know where to shoot and can hit what you aim at, a very high percentage of gun-shot deer will drop almost instantly.

This really can't be done reliably with a bow unless you try to hit the spine and that's not real practical.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
My point is, If you are hunting with a gun and decide to shoot a deer at dusk, and know that you are unable to trail in the AM if necessary, you can choose to shoot the deer through the shoulders or use a high shoulder shot to maximize the chance it will drop. I do the same thing when I'm hunting near a property boundary. In those situations, if I can't shoot to anchor the deer I don't shoot.

No, all deer don't drop magically, but if you know where to shoot and can hit what you aim at, a very high percentage of gun-shot deer will drop almost instantly.

This really can't be done reliably with a bow unless you try to hit the spine and that's not real practical.
From one uncle to another- well said unc, well said.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Im lucky in the way that if I can't make it to work, oh well.
Too bad to sad for them. It's one thing to shoot one and take time off to find the next morn and make up those lost hours by maybe working later, but to shoot one at all, knowing that your not gonna
put the forth the effort to find it until after work and the animal is wasted away is mind boggaling.I totally understand and know the best time to find big bucks is just before and after dusk.But people you have to think third dimensionally.If there is absolutely no way you can get out of work don't shoot.Hopefully he managed to do the right thing and take time off of work but to even suggest he was gonna look fir it afte. Is disappointing to read.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:24 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington
Well Im lucky in the way that if I can't make it to work, oh well.
Too bad to sad for them. It's one thing to shoot one and take time off to find the next morn and make up those lost hours by maybe working later, but to shoot one at all, knowing that your not gonna
put the forth the effort to find it until after work and the animal is wasted away is mind boggaling.I totally understand and know the best time to find big bucks is just before and after dusk.But people you have to think third dimensionally.If there is absolutely no way you can get out of work don't shoot.Hopefully he managed to do the right thing and take time off of work but to even suggest he was gonna look fir it afte. Is disappointing to read.
Even if a person does take off work the next AM and gets at it at 7AM, doesn't mean the animal is good.

I see some guys say they let a doe sit all night with a low of 55F and swear up and down its good, but I wouldn't eat it.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Even if a person does take off work the next AM and gets at it at 7AM, doesn't mean the animal is good.

I see some guys say they let a doe sit all night with a low of 55F and swear up and down its good, but I wouldn't eat it.
Nope it doesn't. But it shows you've taken responsibility about putting this first and foremost. If you put it last we as hunters are losing. Next thing you know, hunting will be banned on weekdays cause to many people can't look for their wounded and lost animals cause they have to work the next day.It's not out of the relm of possibilities.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 10-19-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

should be seeing a post any second bout this deer he got..im guessin it went 40-100 yards..

what were the temps anyway.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:19 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington
Nope it doesn't. But it shows you've taken responsibility about putting this first and foremost. If you put it last we as hunters are losing. Next thing you know, hunting will be banned on weekdays cause to many people can't look for their wounded and lost animals cause they have to work the next day.It's not out of the relm of possibilities.
A year or two ago, I would have agreed with you. But after having some kids, and a wife. I have learned that in life, there are more important things than deer. Lots more important. In this economy, keeping yourself gainfully employed, and your family with a roof overhead should and is priority number one. If you have a job where you feel its no big deal to make it in, fine. Good for you. Not everybody does.

And trying to judge folks, because of your fortunate circumstances is not right. I don't want to judge you Jeff. Maybe you have a bunch of kids, and a family to support and you make it happen even if you miss work or not. But not everyone does. There are more important things than a deer. And chances are, a spoiled deer.

And don't think I am just a slob hunter either. I spent 6 hours with a buddy Sat. night tracking and walked 3 miles on a road back to our truck. Spent the night at his house, drove an hour back and found the deer on Sunday AM. And the deer turned out to be spoiled anyway. Thru all this, I learned, that I would rather be home playing with my little boy. I glad I stuck it out with my buddy. And am sure one day I will ask for the favor in return. Just saying, there are more important things than a deer.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

I would have went out after it at midnight if I new I could not get out in the morning. Would not want to waste something I made a decision to kill.

Thankfully I can get any time off if needed so I do not need to go through that. But I do go out after them after what I deem a required wait depending on the shot due to I hunt some spots with lots of yotes and if I need to track deer in the middle of the night so the thiefs do not get them that is what I do.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with bigcountry on this one - it's a deer, let's try and keep that in perspective before we nail someone to the wall when we don't know if he did or did not go out at midnight, morning or after work.

It amazes me how fellow hunters impose their "holier than thee" ethics on someone who came here looking for advice. He obviously cares with all the pictures he took and posting them up for help, so give the guy a chance. He mentioned a "sick day at work". That can mean two things, sick worrying about the deer while at work or sick day taken to look for the deer.

I'm sure he didn't expect to wound the deer (mostly likely it's dead within 50 yards, no pass through so cavity had to fill up before blood on ground, that's why he didn't see any) and wasn't expecting a long track. I'll bet 99% of you would take that shot as well (no deer on cams in 3 months, huge 10 point shows up) and deal with the circumstances as they unfold as I am sure he his doing right now. I would have let the arrow go as well.

Yup, "DNR will ban hunting cuz no one looks for deer".......come down off your horse plz...If you hunt deer with a bow, this stuff is going to happen to everyone now and then, if you say not so for me, then you need to be on your own TV show rather than posting your greatness here...giddy up cowboys.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-19-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.