Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts? >

Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts?

Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Spike

Be there at first light, you owe it to the deer, the sport and yourself! (we expect pics too)
Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 PM
bigcountry

Even first light, don't expect the deer to be good. Tracked a buddies deer from 7PM to 11PM Sat. night. Came back in the AM and found the deer, meat was loud.

Got down to 45F that night and we found him in water half way. He wasn't puffed up or anything. I took out the inner loins thinknig I would have dinner. Stunk up the house aweful. Fed em to the dogs. Butcher wouldn't take the rest either.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I fully agree with the others, you'll have a dead deer on the end of what should be a short track job. If you have any 'yotes like we do down here in So. Il (And I know you do for I worked up there for 5 years) do not wait till after work!!!! Call a buddy or so if possible and take them along and call off work and go get your deer. Having others along (If you don't mind showing your hunting spot) to help track makes things much easier, extra eyes, ideas, and then the backs to help drag it out!!!! Been there, done that, have the racks to show it!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wounded Deer

Tell me where your hunting spot is and I will find it for you.
(Just kidding) I don't think I would wait for morning. The coyotes will take care of it for you.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great penetration. I would say you buried in the opposite shoulder and you have a dead deer within a 100 yards.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunting is not like hunting with a gun. If you take a shot at dusk, you had better be able to follow through and that means tracking in the AM if necessary. If you're not willing or able to do that, don't hunt in the afternoon! This applies to any deer, let alone a "massive" buck.

I agree with others, the arrow penetrated to the opposite side of the deer and probably hit shoulder bone. Most likely a dead deer within 100 yds especially since you did not push it.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Bowhunting is not like hunting with a gun. If you take a shot at dusk, you had better be able to follow through and that means tracking in the AM if necessary.
What does gun hunting have to do in this situation? I have seen countless deer shot with a gun that ran just as far as deer shot with an arrow. Are you saying every deer shot with a gun magicaly drops in its tracks?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
What does gun hunting have to do in this situation? I have seen countless deer shot with a gun that ran just as far as deer shot with an arrow. Are you saying every deer shot with a gun magicaly drops in its tracks?
2 lunger - I think it was meant as a generalization, though you do have a good point. Generally speaking the deer don't go as far, although there are exceptions. I think the point was to plan ahead. In any case, I'd be out looking for that deer.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rowdyhntr0411
In any case, I'd be out looking for that deer.
Absolutely. I'm sure he is after thinking about it all night.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kswild
From the looks of the arrow I would say you have a dead deer out there. I'm going to guess about 60 yards from impact. Good luck! The reason for no blood could be the broken arrow plugging the hole!
Live it up! Doug
Probably. I used Thunderheads this year and had a complete pass through in September (double lung) with very little blood trail. Turns out a chunk of fat or tissue plugged the exit hole.

Good luck finding your deer....sounds like he's probably dead. I'd take a vacation day and look this morning if you can.

But yeah don't call in sick for something like this.
Your not gonna lose your job over that. That's a promise.But you will lose your job getting caught in a lie.
Depends on where you work. Where I work, a 'sick' day simply means an unplanned vacation day. Doesn't actually mean you're sick, because you can use your PTO days for anything you want.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 10-19-2010 at 05:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.