Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts? >

Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts?

Hopefully you guys can give me a little help tonight. Got out of the woods a little bit ago and haven't had this situation bow hunting yet (Only a few years bowhunting but gun hunting for 20 yrs).

After a 3 months of nothing on my trail cam other than a few small bucks and not one doe, tonight a huge 10 pt comes in...and well to save the story since there is no deer to speak of, I took a shot close to sunset. In short, it was a 20 yard shot, broadside, (maybe a few degrees either way but no where near quarter towards me or away) but I believe it to be broadside. Well, I didnt get a good look at the hit but had the pin on his vitals and a tree blocking all of his stomach and guts so I don't believe I hit there. Well, After waiting 30 mins, got out of my tree and and after about 8 feet I find a broken arrow (picture below). I only went about 10 feet further with my flashlight and decided to back out. I didn't spot any blood in those 10 feet so I wasn't going to risk it and keep pushing. Since I can't give an accurate description on the exact spot of impact, I thought I'd show some pictures and see what everyone thinks. Its going to be a long sleepless night and a sick day at work tomorrow. Hopefully by the pictures some more experience bowhunters might be able to assist.

My thoughts (and mean really nothing) is that I went in a little forward, and the arrow hit the other shoulder bone, just a thought but haven't had an arrow break off before)

Also, I shoot #65 pd draw weight and 29 inch draw if that helps. Shooting thunderheads as well. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the thoughts.
Thanks everyone.

First Picture shows the penetration compared to my other arrow with brodhead. I have a light aroow drawn on the broken arrow to show where I have blood to then a few strands of hair.

Second picture is total length of arrows.

Third is the picture of the broken arrow with an arrow showing penetration (just a little closer)

Old 10-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm thinking the arrow penetrated the body to the opposite side and hit the inside of the shoulder, stopping the arrow. When he ran off he snapped the shaft off.

Check your PMs

Last edited by uncle matt; 10-18-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

From the looks of the arrow I would say you have a dead deer out there. I'm going to guess about 60 yards from impact. Good luck! The reason for no blood could be the broken arrow plugging the hole!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by uncle matt
I'm thinking the arrow penetrated the body to the opposite side and hit the inside of the shoulder, stopping the arrow. When he ran off he snapped the shaft off.
Originally Posted by kswild
From the looks of the arrow I would say you have a dead deer out there. I'm going to guess about 60 yards from impact. Good luck! The reason for no blood could be the broken arrow plugging the hole!
Live it up! Doug
I agree with both of these, that looks a lot like my arrow from my buck last year, and both of those are true as to what happened. Went in, hit the ribs on the otherside (after penetrating thick muscle infront of the left front shoulder) and after about 10 yards I found a broken arrow, and after about 60 yards, my buck.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Spike

First of all good move backing out, when in doubt PULL OUT!!!! HAHA I really just thought of that. Looking forward to seeing some pictures but goodluck!!!! Where in Chicago are you? Im in Algonquin.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldnt wait until after work, I think I would be calling in sick, and getting out there early in the morning. Good Luck, cant wait to see pics.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
I wouldnt wait until after work, I think I would be calling in sick, and getting out there early in the morning. Good Luck, cant wait to see pics.
Yotes, yotes and more yotes.....
Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Spike

Call in with workitis... or anal glocoma=cant see ur a$$ goin in tomorrow and go get ur dead deer!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Calling in would be my choice too! Missed class today and work in order to track my deer. No way i could handle going into work. Nice job on the buck. Should be piled up not too far away.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fatfreddy
Call in with workitis... or anal glocoma=cant see ur a$$ goin in tomorrow and go get ur dead deer!!!
LOL.. That's funny.
When I shot my elk a couple tears ago.I shot it on a Saturday morn off the Hope Princeton Highway. Took it to the butchers in Princeton.
Went back to Kamloops my home town.I phoned work the next night and told them I was going to Abbotsford to get the thing mounted. And I wouldn't be back till Tuesday. Nobody calls in sick at my work, being sick is a sign of weakness. Man up, tell them you have an wounded animal to find and you won't be back till it's found.
Hell, maybe the whole place will shut down and they will all be out there looking for ya. But yeah don't call in sick for something like this.
Your not gonna lose your job over that. That's a promise.But you will lose your job getting caught in a lie.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 10-18-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.