Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fixed blade planning.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Spike

Default Fixed blade planning.

I hate fixed blade planning.

I was bearing down on a nice doe two days ago with my fixed broad heads. She was about 45 yards out and i released arrow was flying perfectly at the kill zone and at the last second the arrow planned to the left barely missing her throat. needless to say i am making the move to expandable heads. Has anybody else experienced this during there years in the woods?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds more like it hit a small twig that you could not see rather than the arrowbroadhead combination.
I've never seen any arrow do such a thing unless it deflected on somthing.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do us all a big favor and stay out of the woods, sounds like your a terrible shot
Old 10-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ruddyduck
Sounds more like it hit a small twig that you could not see rather than the arrowbroadhead combination.
I've never seen any arrow do such a thing unless it deflected on somthing.
I agree with ruddyduck. I shot fixed blade thunderheads for 5 years with no issues. Took shots out to 40 yards and my arrows flew as true as I could have possibly wanted.

Ironically enough, switched over to mechanicals this year (just to try something new) and had the EXACT same thing happen to me as you. Had a doe at 35 yards, looked like a clear shot, arrow was headed right for the vitals - and right before impact took a sharp turn to the right (just missing her throat as well...kinda crazy). Luckily it was a clean miss. But anyway, turned out there was a thin twig that I could not see from where I was about 5 yards in front of where she was standing. Very frustrating, especially since I need to fill my doe tag and I am 0 for 1. So in summary, IMO i dont think it was the bloodhead.

Last edited by schester14; 10-18-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

Agreed, something deflected it. IMO I would stay away from mechanicals. If you have been shooting fixed this long, you probably won't like them. You won't get as many pass throughs and there alot of outfitters that won't allow them in there camp. A tuned arrow with a fixed blade is more deadly than a mechanical hands down.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I am actually about to switch back. Not something I really want to mess with in the middle of the season but we will see.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Spike

Default Stupid People

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
Do us all a big favor and stay out of the woods, sounds like your a terrible shot
I hate stupid people that think there the end all be all of hunters. Stuff happens in the woods and everywhere else along with physics and Murphy's law things can not be avoided. StabnSlab you sound like an in experienced hunter and very immature. You noticed how other serious hunters in this forum provided there experience of there use of fixed verses expandable broad head technology. I do not know if your mother failed you with your education of manors or of you are the example to be followed when people say better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

no reason to be mean here guys..unless you are indeed perfect your self, then just keep it to yourself..
stay with the fixed...ya need to use them to practice with, not just a 125g field tip because your shooting 125g broad head...
bh fly different, each one is different.ya need to be using the bh at home, or where ever you practice.
mech is definitely NOT the way to go..imo
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rage 2 blade, done deal, problem solved.

Only expandable I'd use, no reason to switch.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SavageArms
I hate stupid people that think there the end all be all of hunters. Stuff happens in the woods and everywhere else along with physics and Murphy's law things can not be avoided. StabnSlab you sound like an in experienced hunter and very immature. You noticed how other serious hunters in this forum provided there experience of there use of fixed verses expandable broad head technology. I do not know if your mother failed you with your education of manors or of you are the example to be followed when people say better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Immature yes, experienced hunter yes, Immature only because Im hung over right now, experienced because I have done everything wrong in hunting before and I learned from mistakes. I have shot deer in shoulder's, spine shot a few bucks and even killed one with a head shot. All shots were my fault. One year I wounded (5) bucks before I hung up the bow for the season. Tell me something, did you practice with your broadheads before you went out? If you didn't then don't blame it on your heads, blame it on yourself. And leave my mother out of this, Dorty Mantooth is a saint!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.