Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Another hunter with a sleepless night... :( >

Another hunter with a sleepless night... :(

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another hunter with a sleepless night... :(

Old 10-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another hunter with a sleepless night... :(

Well this will be my first sleepless night (after the shot that is). At about 430 I shot at an 8 point at about 25 yards away and im not sure where exactly I hit it. What had happened was this buck walked out right under my stand and walked directly away from me, well as he was walking away I drew my bow. After I got to full draw he decided to face away from me and feed. After holding my bow for at least a good 1 1/2 minutes my fingers and arms were cramping up and going numb. Finally the buck begins to turn and then it happens. When I went to put my finger on the release trigger I accidently pulled it prematurely (bc my fingers were numb from holding it back so long) when the buck was just turning. I got down at about 6 and found that I had very little blood on the arrow, but had a blood trail. I decided to back out after following the trail for a lil ways and go back tomorrow morning. The blood trail looks decent for a little ways but then it goes to little drops and then back to pools and spraying blood and then back to pin head size specs.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I think that you made a wise move to back out in that situation. Maybe you had a good enough hit to clip some vitals or just bleed out. Anyway, I hope that you can find him in the morning.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Spike

Good call on backing out. What kind of blood was it? Did you find your arrow?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Spike

i would say you have a good chance at finding your buck. a quartering away shot is the best in my opinion. ive never had problems finding a deer with this shot. just killed an eleven pointer this past sat with this shot. deer walked right under my stand and i let him pass so i could get a quartering away shot. i was a little worried myself because i didnt let him walk away far enough. arrow didnt look like it had enough angle to it but we had no problem finding buck he only went 60 yrds.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

I must say I have to be the luckiest person in the world. I found my buck today and I am still in shock. Since I accidentally pulled the trigger too soon i shot a lot lower than i had thought. I ended up hitting him in the upper part of the leg, cutting about a 4inch gash through his leg. Im assuming i severed his main artery and several other blood vessels. Had to track him across a couple 40's until we walked up on him, he was still alive at the time but one final arrow took care of that. Im still upset about my shot but thankfully it is all over now.
Attached Thumbnails Another hunter with a sleepless night... :(-buck2010.jpg   Another hunter with a sleepless night... :(-buck20102.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent! Good recovery, and nice buck. Thanks for posting a REAL hunting story. As stated in another thread by another member, things in the field can't be perfect, and crap happens. It took guts to post this, I think, because you know there gonna be picture perfect hunters thumbing their noses at you while they read. Some might even post!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Excellent! Good recovery, and nice buck. Thanks for posting a REAL hunting story. As stated in another thread by another member, things in the field can't be perfect, and crap happens. It took guts to post this, I think, because you know there gonna be picture perfect hunters thumbing their noses at you while they read. Some might even post!
Thanks!!! And I'm ready to take the heat for that but like I stated before, I didn't mean to pull the trigger is was a mistake that I made and am very fortunate that I was able to recover him.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ek_buckmaster
I must say I have to be the luckiest person in the world. I found my buck today and I am still in shock. Since I accidentally pulled the trigger too soon i shot a lot lower than i had thought. I ended up hitting him in the upper part of the leg, cutting about a 4inch gash through his leg. Im assuming i severed his main artery and several other blood vessels. Had to track him across a couple 40's until we walked up on him, he was still alive at the time but one final arrow took care of that. Im still upset about my shot but thankfully it is all over now.
Congrats on your buck, cool story and Im glad you didn't give up.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

nice buck! good job on not giving up on the deer as well!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Thats a good buck lot of reports of bucks being spotted im out this evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.