Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rubs and Scrapes

Old 10-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rubs and Scrapes

My son and I went into this new area we get to hunt this season and put up a hang-on stand for Jeremy to use. We also had cameras out and I think I pull them to early somewhere around mid September with nothing on them.
Oct 16 Saturday I take Jeremy out for he's first hunt in a stand alone (evening) and on the way in we come across and nice rub and what I believe to be a scrapes. I get him settle in. I then go to get in my stand and find several more scrapes. The area we are on is one of several ridge finger that lead to steep hills down to a creek and out to a swamp.

So with the rut coming in how would you hunt this area? I am talking times. I have read scrapes are good till the first of Nov but I guest any deer sign is good right.

Last edited by bushanic; 10-17-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Spike

they will be back..... i would hunt
NW of these rubs... give it a few weeks

good luck
Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Spike

Could also be turkey scratchings. I've been fooled before on those. When you say you pulled the cameras, do you mean that you took them out of the woods, or did you just pull the cards from them? You should have left the cameras in to see what was there. If I were you I would put your cameras by the scrapes to see what deer are making those.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how you feel about rattling but I have very, VERY good luck rattling in area's like you describe. Starting tonight I'll be hitting the heavy horns! I won't see the 1.5 and 2.5's but if there is a mature buck in the area, he'll show up this early. He's another thing, check out which way the rubs are on the tree and you'll know if they are using that trail at night or morning. If its facing the bedding area or away from the fields they are using that trail at night. If it's facing the field or food they are using that trail in the morning going back to the bedding area. Good luck
Old 10-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
He's another thing, check out which way the rubs are on the tree and you'll know if they are using that trail at night or morning. If its facing the bedding area or away from the fields they are using that trail at night. If it's facing the field or food they are using that trail in the morning going back to the bedding area.
This should be the tip of the week!!!! I never knew this or even thought about it
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ek_buckmaster
This should be the tip of the week!!!! I never knew this or even thought about it
LOL....it was one of my tips a month ago. I believe I got that tip from "Stan Potts"....something about that guy that makes me laugh.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

I gotta look through the posts more closely next time! haha
Old 10-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Heres some more info. I came across this ridge last year tracking a buck I lost. He lead me right down the trail pasted rub after after rub and a lot of scrapes. The rub was facing down as the buck would be walking down the ridge not come up. I am not sure where their bedding yet I just know this is one of many travel corridors over the 3-5 ridges on the one side that feed into the creek bottom. I have seen deer in the morning and night moving though a few of the other ridges but have not seen any signs like this.
I think the does really use the creek bottom more then the bucks but I don't have real proof of that yet just a feeling. I think the buck run the sides of the ridges jumping (crossing) from ridge to ridge instead of the creek.

I did hold out till the last 30 minutes of light and did a light rattling ,grunts and shaking some trees but nothing came out. I am not sure how good rattling is for this area but I will try anything a few times. I have planed on hunting this spot thursday morning till 2pm and then I have to leave (wife has class) maybe I will get to see what running around.

I pulled the camera because I did not want to stink up the area its really hard to get in you mostly are walking right where the deer do. The cameras had been out for 2month and nothing so I did not bother putting them back out.Live and learn.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
LOL....it was one of my tips a month ago. I believe I got that tip from "Stan Potts"....something about that guy that makes me laugh.
Hahahaha Stan Potts is a crazy guy! But boy, he sure knows how to hunt for the big bucks!