HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   need'n to vent (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332076-needn-vent.html)

littlekid 10-17-2010 01:49 PM

need'n to vent

After 6+ years hiatus from bowhunting I finally got back into the woods during Archery Season; which ends today. I really wanted to harvest a deer with the bow this year, but it wasn't to be. Just to much "bad luck". First, BEARS and more BEARS. Just this morning I had a bear feeding 15 yds from me as I climbed into my stand. I didn't notice until I got above the veg. and saw a dark spot where one wasn't before. He finally left as I spoke with my father on the radio we always carry. Second, last sunday I had a shot at an 8 pt. (on my right @ 15 yds, down wind of me, and on the trail I walk in on), but cut a twig and not him. Third, yesterday I had a 4 pt walk out in the same place as the previous, and with the same wind direction, so I was more observant of twigs. When this little guy finally gets his head/eyes behind a tree I stand and draw...not happening, my draw arm is stopped by the strap from my harness to the tree. SO, I do a slight squat and get my arm under the strap and finish my draw.....the little bugger bolts for the netherregions.
Thank you for letting my vent. I only hope smokepole season goes better.
littlekid

iSnipe 10-17-2010 02:21 PM

I don't think I had to learn the hard way about the strap being too short for the draw, but it is one of the things I check first to make sure it doesn't happen to me! You're not the first one that has had the ol' safety strap save a deer. LOL!

At least you've had fun being out there. Don't know about others, but the kill is only a small part of the aspect of hunting for me. Yeah, I'm bummed big time when stuff like that happens to me, however, I get out there immediately... kinda like getting back on the horse and I continue to have things happen, good and bad. It's all part of the game! Sometimes you lose and sometimes you lose again. LOL!

You're putting yourself in position for a bow shot, so you are doing something right. I have no doubt you'll get what you're looking for come muzzleloader season. :happy0001:

iSnipe

oldshedhunter35 10-17-2010 03:41 PM

I wish our state would make it leagel to hunt on Sundays

arrow2512 10-17-2010 03:56 PM

Don't give up on going after a deer with your bow things happen .Like someone said you put yourself in a good spot to get the chance to get a deer .so don't give up once you get that first one things will come together for you.Sometimes getting that first deer can be frustrating,I've known guys that did there first deer for 5-6 years and more but they've stuck with it .Go out and keep trying ok .

travis_ranger2000 10-17-2010 04:09 PM

Really?

Originally Posted by oldshedhunter35 (Post 3704068)

This is a crazy law in my eyes. Yes I'm a believer in the Lord so it has nothing to do with that. The working man/woman has 2 days a week to hunt, and your state says you can't hunt that day? I mean prisoners have cable television,, that the state pays for!

iSnipe 10-17-2010 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by arrow2512 (Post 3704081)
Don't give up on going after a deer with your bow things happen.

I use 2613's. :D

Arrow, in this case he doesn't have a choice, as it was his last day for the archery season. He'll get one next year with a bow, no doubt.

iSnipe

doetrain 10-17-2010 05:54 PM

Hang in there returning Bow hunter and it will happen sooner or later. Our bow season runs all the way to January 2nd. so unlike you I have plenty of time and the way things are going I'm going to need it. I'm not lacking deer to shoot at my problem is I can't seem to get within 40 yards of them. I thought I had one for sure 9 days ago at 12 yards but she would not come out from behind a bush to give me a shot. Yesterday I thought my drought was going to end when one came from a hundred yards out only to turn right into a thicket at 35 to 40 yards out. But thats hunting and I have many more hunts to go before gun and muzzle loader seasons come up. Good Hunting to ya in the next phase of the season.

littlekid 10-18-2010 02:04 PM

Thanks for the support guys...my wife's reaction has been "Yea, and....".
I'm contemplating sticking with my bow during ML season (or atleast part of) since the area I hunt is tight(30-50 yards max.); just not sure, due to the fact I would have harvested both of these bucks if I had my ML at the time.

aaronu. 10-18-2010 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by oldshedhunter35 (Post 3704068)

That's what people get for letting liberals run the show.
F--- Obama!!!!!