Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Starring contest!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Starring contest!

So, the other morning I saw..what looked to be..a decent rack through the trees and brush. So this morning I tried to put myself where I thought he had come from. I think I found the spot, the trails speak for themselves. But anyways...early on I saw two does browsing around about 60 yards away. Coulda filled my tag but I wanted to wait for that possible rack! At about 9:20 I decided it was time for me to pack up and head out. Remember, this was a new spot so I was on the ground, no blind, nothing. Anyways I turn around to check behind me before I get up...nothing. So up I go, grab my phanny pack, put it around my waist...go to buckle it...while I turn back around in front of me. Literally about 10 paces away stands a doe. Of course, beating me down with her eyes. So I stood so still, for a little over 4 minutes. Same stance...hands behind my back..weight on my right foot while my left foot is on my tippy toes, no idea why? haha. But d*mn! After about 3 minutes my leg started to cramp, but this was such a good spot that I want to put my ladder stand i couldn't blow it...so i went through the pain, starring right back at this doe...I was scared to blink thinking she'd see it and run! haha. After that four minute stare down she just put her head down and walked along...right by me...WOW! I couldn't believe it! What an upclose encounter! Just thought I'd share that with you guys haha.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a nub buck around me for 4 hours! It would eat, bed, get up stretch, bed back down only 50 yards away. Well I had to go otherwise I was going to be late for a lunch date with my girl so I packed up and this nub buck gets up and comes only 10 yards from my stand. Im climbing down and this thing almost looked like it wanted to play. Its fur was standing up and everything. As soon as I got down and started walking it trotted off. Well that afternoon I went to the same area and it was still bedded in the same spot. Didn't care, didn't move just layed there. Pretty cool
Old 10-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

sometimes i think deer that are hanging close to a stand start thinking that there is something up there but ive been hangin around for a while and it hasnt hurt me so it must be alright. how else would they learn to come so close to a house or the road etc.. just my thoughts!
Old 10-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I've done the statue thing many times and have been caught in some very unusual positions and many of them were like yours... getting painful with each passing second!

Next time that happens, try moving like molasses in January and you'll be surprised with what you can get away with, even while they're staring at you. I learned that because I couldn't stand the awkward pain any longer and just went ahead and started to reposition myself to something more comfortable and got away with it.

What camo were you in?

iSnipe
Old 10-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

haha thats awesome that would be so cool to be like 10 yards away from a deer on the ground and have them walk right by you!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Fork Horn

my first year bow hunting i had a 6 point buck come in to the corn pile and about 20 min later had a fawn come in and it would run down the tree row come around and bite the buck on the butt then run off then run back down the tree row then come in and bite the buck on the butt again after that the buck waited for the fawn to get close then he would kick the hell out of the fawn after a couple times of that the fawn had enough and left then the buck walk over to my stand turn its head and put his head in between the steps on my ladder stand and stood there just resting its head then after about 5 min took its head out then turned around and walked away then got poached that next season.