Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wind direction help!!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Spike

Default Wind direction help!!

Hey everyone I知 still fairly new to deer hunting, this is my second year and I still haven't got a deer yet. I have done a lot of research on everything about deer hunting, and have read a lot of the post on the board. But I知 still having trouble seeing deer. I know that wind direction plays a big part in being successful, I just need help figuring out what way I should being facing in my stand in conjunction with the tracks that I知 seeing on the ground/trails, and anything else that I should take into consideration. If anyone can please help me out with some detailed advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Slick Tr1ck
Hey everyone I知 still fairly new to deer hunting, this is my second year and I still haven't got a deer yet. I have done a lot of research on everything about deer hunting, and have read a lot of the post on the board. But I知 still having trouble seeing deer. I know that wind direction plays a big part in being successful, I just need help figuring out what way I should being facing in my stand in conjunction with the tracks that I知 seeing on the ground/trails, and anything else that I should take into consideration. If anyone can please help me out with some detailed advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
We are glad to have you here and joining the hunting community . You should always try to keep the wind blowing past you in the opposite direction or away from where the deer will be approaching or where you think the deer are. Put your stand up accordingly. If you have a wind blowing from north to south and a deer trail going east to west you would set up on the south side of the trail. That way no matter which way the deer come from the wind is carrying your scent away. Keep wind direction in mind for the walk or ride to your stand. Where ever you think the deer are keep your scent blowing away from them and you will be fine. I hope this helps and please feel free to ask any questions you may have. This is a great community with a lot of knowledgeable folks, and when you are just starting out there are no stupid questions. Good luck this season!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Spike

KSwild Thank you for welcoming me to the community!! And thank you for the great advice, I will defiantly be practicing this from now on!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Spike

Welcome, the information that KSWILD has provided is sound. Another thing to keep in mind is the trails that you are hunting. Early on in my hunting career, I would find these "Cow path" made by deer and think Wow, this is a sure thing. Very rarely did the work for me personally. The more heavily used trails always seem to be used more at night. Find the food sources (They change through the season) and the bedding areas. Set up down wind of the trails that offer edge and protection and you will not be disappointed. Funnels, pinch points and inside corners of fields are always worth taking a look at. Have as many stands as possible to account for different winds. Most of all, keep hunting and enjoy your time outdoors. Be safe.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Spike

375LVR thank you for your advice!! I wasn稚 sure if setting up on these trails was really worth my time. I hunt on public land so setting up multiple stands wont be something I can do, but locating food sources isn稚 to difficult. There are acorns all over the area, but I really don稚 see any deer signs around them to show that there feeding on them. The largest amount of traffic I have noticed is by/on the river that flow on the boundary line of the state land.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Spike

I always have good luck by a river or stream. Expecially if there is some kind of food near by. Just hope they don't cross it when you shoot them.. No one wants to drag a long ways.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

My advice would be to try and find a seasoned hunter willing to show you the ropes a little bit to hunt with if possible. you can take in alot theses days via the web but not like someone showing you in person or during the actual act of hunting. Also keep youe expectations real in the beginning and for the type of area you are hunting. It would be so easy for someone getting started out to turn on the tv and measure themselves next to what you see them shooting. A trophy is in the eye of the beholder and should always be that way. Not only that we as what I refer to as us normal hunters don't have to cross a 10' high fence to get to our stand in the morning. Good luck to you this season and the many to come.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure I can add to what has already been said. Some good info.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

I would walk that river and find where they are crossing! That is always a hot spot especailly since the other side is private! Also, I read this on here but the acorn caps with notches in them is sign that deer have been eating them. Any droppings around means that they have been there at least 1 time! I hunted for 2 years before I even saw my first deer that wasn't running 300 MPH. Once I learned to pay attention to the wind and BE STILL I started seeing and killing deer! Keep your head up and just enjoy the outdoors first, learn as much as you can 2nd, then killing deer will be an easy 3rd! It will all come together.
One more thing. You don't NEED a tree stand for it to be a stand. Find a tree and some branches and build you a small blind on the ground. A few of these placed around will give a spot to go to that will hide you and you don't have to worry about carrying in a treestand every single day!

Last edited by jerrrrstanley; 10-15-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Little more info would help.

Type of terrain you're hunting?
Private/public land?
Type of food source, agriculture or big woods forage?
Do you hunt mornings or evenings?

A really good tool to use, since it's obvious you have internet access, google maps.

Just a quick little image of my favorite morning hunt property, the arrows are fixed position stands. The orange lines are main travel routes back to the bedding area.
This property is always a good pre/rut location, great pinch points.
I always have my climber handy for odd wind occasions, which is rare.

Wind direction help!!-1.jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.