HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How Can We Be Safe This Year? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332038-how-can-we-safe-year.html)

iSnipe 10-17-2010 12:43 AM

How Can We Be Safe This Year?

Hello Gentleman... Ladies,

Yet another hunting season is upon us already and it's time we spend a moment and remind our brethren/sisters on being safe out there this year to return from a safe hunt!

While many of us can give multiple suggestions on being safe, lets give room for others to reply as well... post just one at a time or maybe two...

What tip(s) can you give to be safe out there this year when we're out there pursuing our passion... hunting! ??

---------------

Mine is to take it easy and never be in a rush. I feel there are many older hunters who have not been so physical and busy... then all of a sudden hit the deer woods and then be hit with all the physical demands of that! So take it easy and if you need help, be sure to have a buddy help you out with whatever it is you need.

What's your tip to help others be safe this year?

iSnipe

jerrrrstanley 10-17-2010 02:25 AM

Make a plan and stick to that plan. Let others know your plans even if its the same thing you have done every year. Deffinately set a time that if you havn't talked to anyone they call the authorities and come a lookin! I do this everytime I go hunting or hiking on public land. If I have someone going with me I still let a 3rd party know.
If no one knows where you are going and when you are expected back they won't have a clue on where or when to look!

Valentine 10-17-2010 05:03 AM

Too Large a Class

With hunters from 15 to 75, it's too large a class, to even start thinking of absolute or near safety.
Learn from those who make the tragic mistakes we generally call accidents. As you age, you see a repetition.

dirtyd 10-17-2010 05:26 AM

I always leave my truck key's in a specific spot hidden under my truck so if i'm lost or i lose my keys someone can drive my truck out if need be. All the guys in the family hide their keys in the same spot on their vehicles too.

Jeff Ovington 10-17-2010 06:06 AM

I even let this get to me. Especially after jumping a big big muley.Controlling your emotions.After shooting at an animal or just seeing one you have to calm yourself down and be responsible for calming your buddies down.Be the one to make sure everyone has got the rifles unloaded in a safe manner. And get back to reality don't allow you and your buddies to daydream about a missed opportunity. One of my cousins best friends was guiding in Northern B.C. For bear. He and his client were in the way to the hunting grounds, when a huge bear crossed the logging road. The truck stopped the client got out of the vehical in pursuit. Afterwards the client failed to unload his rifle when getting back in. The guide failed to make sure it was.When this young guide got out of the vehical to grab the gear. He grabbed the rifle from the muzzle end.With the barrel now facing this kid,he attempted to pull it onto the bench seat ,for the client, the gun discharged blowing the young guides head shear off.His name was Ryan Corbin, he was 21.Stupid stupid mistakes on both these people parts unfortunitly ended up taking a life.Step up and be one responsible to make sure everybody has
their emotions in check and make sure firearms are unloaded and properly
handled in a safe manner ,before and after and during the hunt. Don'ttrust your buddies. I consider myself a safe hunter, but my buddies still make sure I'm checked and I do the same.Bad habbitts are easy to get into and hard to break. Be aware and don't be scared of saying something reguardless of experience and age.

sussexhunter 10-17-2010 06:50 AM

1. definitely tell someone where you are going
2. always carry a lighter so if you cannot move you can start a fire for both a signal and heat
3. if you have a phone make sure it is charged and carry it with you

these three things will provide you with heat to stay warm, possibly provide you with communication, and provide others with a general location

Rhody Hunter 10-17-2010 10:04 AM

If you are hunting off the ground always wear a fall harness. you wil never know when it could save you life. just last year i came close to needing it to save me when the stand strap broke. I had one on at the time but was able to grab on in time before tightening up on the tether. It sure gets your attention