HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Rattling? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332029-rattling.html)

BOWHUNTINGisLIFE 10-16-2010 07:52 PM

Rattling?

has anyone tryed any rattling yet this year, and where are u at if u have??

iSnipe 10-17-2010 12:28 AM

I'm in northern MN. Right now I haven't been out much, but I've been out MANY times this time of year and have had great luck rattlin' in bucks. Mind you, they aren't trophies, but regardless, the bucks came in!

I tickle the end of the antlers.... like if they are play sparring. I also may do a loud or semi-loud clang when I originally bump the antlers together and I will keep them together and grind them. There is no major separation of the antlers, just keep pushing, grinding an rolling them.

It's a bit early right now to simulate a full out fight, but the light tickling has worked great for me and I don't hesitate to do that this time of year. The does are curious also about what's going on and they can be called in too. LOL! I know this because I've been trophy hunting quite a bit and when I do this, I've passed up many a good buck for something bigger.

Stay safe buddy.

iSnipe

BOWHUNTINGisLIFE 10-17-2010 10:30 AM

thanks, and i did exactly that this morning and 3 different year and halfs came in within 10 minutes. lol

iSnipe 10-17-2010 10:41 AM

Yep, those young ones can't seem to resist it! That's another thing I like about rattlin'... even if they're not a big trophy, I find it fun to have them react regardless. It's also fun to have them eventually walk off and you rattle again and they come right back. LOL!

I suspect every now and then when I'm in the right area, I'm rattlin' in a big buck that is circling down wind out of sight busting me and I don't even know it. Not all deer blow when you're busted. They just jog off.

3 bucks came in from rattling all within 10 minutes? No way! LOL! See, told yah. That magical time of year is starting for deer season, so the more time you have out there, not only will your chances increase, the solitude and serenity of the woods will do you some good.

Best of luck, stay safe and have fun while being out there!

iSnipe

Whitetailmadness 10-17-2010 12:31 PM

Rattling I think is only successful in areas with a good buck to doe ratio. In my area there are probably 15 does to every buck which makes for no competition from other bucks. In an ideal situation the larger bucks will be competing for the does and the rattling alerts a would be breeder to a potential score. Where I hunt even the spikes get lucky with some breeding and I've seen spikes chasing 4-5 does without any other buck in sight so rattling in my area isn't a very effective tool.

woodyw333 10-17-2010 07:23 PM

I will find out in the morning... im leaving work at 530 am and headed out, rattling was gonna be my tatic this morning just to see what happens...

woodyw333 10-18-2010 07:41 PM

well i went out this morning and it worked!! right at first light i rattled and grunted a little bit and sure enough 5 min after the sequence i had a little spike walk right up to within 10ft of my tree... after he casually walked off i waited bout an hour then did it again and had a doe comming in and the landowners mom let the dogs out knot knowing i was out there and they strolled right up to me and scared her off... my day was over.. oh well it happens... but the light rattling does work right now!!

SecondChance 10-18-2010 08:21 PM

Tried rattling Sat. morning, nothing. Several times for just short "Bumping, twisting" rattling. Nothing serious. Found one spot where 2 had been going at it, ground all tore up from the pushing and such. Will try tomorrow or wednesday.

deernutz 10-19-2010 05:33 PM

I have grunted in 2 bucks and rattled in 3 bucks. I hunt in Columbia, SC. Not sure about the ratio but it's fun.