HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   went door knocking with a friend (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332027-went-door-knocking-friend.html)

blackhawk_archery 10-16-2010 07:16 PM

went door knocking with a friend

Today we went out door knocking to try to get a little more hunting ground we ran into some of the rudest people you would ever imagine and they was women they would slam the door in our faces but the farmers we talked to was nice and laughed when we told them about the women cussing us,we didnt gain any new land to hunt but got some good laughs,some of these people needed a slap in the face no need in having such a piss poor attitude.

iSnipe 10-16-2010 09:42 PM

I applaud you for going out and trying to make something happen. It takes guts to go out in the field like that in the line of fire and take a beating, but that's what it takes sometimes.

Keep at and I promise, eventually you'll get a "Yes!".

Good luck,

iSnipe

jerrrrstanley 10-17-2010 02:40 AM

Offer to help farmers do something, even if it is running errands, getting parts, mowing his yard, make beer runs, anything! Leave a phone number with them too just incase they need anything. Ask to hunt anything coyotes, turkey, anything that is a nuisance and they may want gone. Let them know you are willing to work for it and build your way up to deer. Even if you don't get to hunt it you might just make a great friend out of it. The guy that lets me hunt his farm is building a metal 100' X 44' barn. I came down there to hunt and when I called to tell him i was coming down I didn't say "hey im coming to go hunting". All I said was Im on my way down there you need anything? What are you working on today? He said he needed a hand with the base of the building so I jumped right in and strated. We were done by 4 and still had 3 hours to hunt. You may not get to hunt as much doing this but trust me, it goes A LONG ways.

White-tail-deer 10-17-2010 03:16 AM

Good advise jerrrstanley! I know a farmer who would say no all day long if you just asked to hunt, but if you are willing to help load a couple trucks of hay and not just around hunting season, he will let you hunt. The key is to not just show up in the fall and expect to hunt.

SteveBNy 10-17-2010 05:57 AM

Don't take this wrong, but I might be rude also to people asking during or almost season. I'd be more inclined to allow those that planned and sought permission far ahead of time.

stabnslab_WI 10-17-2010 06:02 AM

I would say "No" too, they probably know you don't turn in poachers ;).......Ooops did I just say that

HardwoodHunter 10-17-2010 06:03 AM

not gunna lie, I had the best hunting permission experience ever. This past late summer my buddy and I were going around and getting a couple apples that fall from the trees for his grandpa, you know those old timers, enjoy feeding deer in their backyard just to watch them. When this old lady with a nice little chunk of property came out and ask what we were doing...so we told her. She said "Oh, isn't that nice of you to do for him. I'm assuming you boys like to hunt. Would you like to hunt my property?" I was shocked! But what a nice old lady she is!

blackhawk_archery 10-17-2010 09:22 AM

Thanks for the advice,I actually have hunting ground in the area we was asking to hunt but I dont take anyone in there because I dont want to make my boss mad,I didn't care that they said no it was just the attitude a few of them had they was the kinda women that just lay around the house all day and play with there cats but as I was saying the farmers that owned most of the land in the area was nice as could be but one hunted the land and the other had all his land leased out,the farmer that hunted his land lives 1 mile or so from the land I have permission to hunt well we talked to him for a good half hour and he ended up taking us into his house and showing us some monster deer mounts, was a few big 10's and a monster 13 point so that made it all worth it in the end.I have prime hunting ground with wild turkey and a strong herd of whitetail so it doesn't effect me.

blackhawk_archery 10-17-2010 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI (Post 3703762)
I would say "No" too, they probably know you don't turn in poachers ;).......Ooops did I just say that

You can play that card all you want,I already explained that it was taken care of but yet you are not satisfied.

UPHunter08 10-18-2010 06:01 AM

As others have said, try doing it on the off-season. Offer to help out with the property. And be sure to take a kid or your lady friend with you. It takes a real A-hole to be rude and cuss you out if you have your kids or nephew/niece with you. ;) If you approach them looking like a well-groomed, honest person you'll probably come across as someone they might be able to trust.