Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Croosbow's blood trail not as I would have assumed. >

Croosbow's blood trail not as I would have assumed.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Croosbow's blood trail not as I would have assumed.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Just wanted to say thank you to all who gave advice. I really wasn't sure what kind of response I'd get having never posted before but looks like this is going to be a great place to hangout. Thanks again guys.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

i know its been said but a bigger broadhead or closer range is all i can think of.

also guys lets not start an anti crossbow thread all this guy is doing is asking a asimple question
Old 10-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Only thing I can think of is your shot entry and exit angles. Since I hunt high in the trees with by bow, my arrow exits the lower half of the deer making for a better blood trail. On shots where I am on the ground, the entry/exit angles are about the same and much flatter, therefore it takes some time for the body cavity to fill up with blood before it exits the wound channels.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Spike

It has nothing to do with the crossbow. The broadhead doesn't know the difference between being shot out of a xbow or compound. I switched over to the 2 blade Rages this year with my crossbow and they've really impressed me. I've taken 3 deer so far with them.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Spike

i agree with hank. i also shoot the 100 gr. rage 2blade and i tell you 1 thing it deffinetly leave a hole . it will expand to 2 inches. dont think they make 1 any bigger. good luck.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also believe that the broadheads react the same whether they are out of a crossbow or regular bow but do you know if other people in the area have had that problem? I'm just wondering if you have deer in your area that are real "fatty" and may plug the hole after its shot. I've never heard of something like this put just throwing ideas in the air.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Spike

I think twodogs has the right idea, so I ask are you hunting the same height with both?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Spike

Thunderchicken.....Is this Mr.Andrews? A good friend of mines brother goes by thunderchicken as his handle when we are on the boats.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

No Mr Andrews here sorry. I do hunt from a treestand about 20' to 25' high but now that someone mentioned it most of the deer I am killing are on a ridge behind me.It makes sense because it flattens out the the shot somewhat and might be the reason it is taking longer to find blood. Thanks for all the info guys.