Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How do you scent proof your gear >

How do you scent proof your gear

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you scent proof your gear

Old 10-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Spike

Default How do you scent proof your gear

im kinda new to deer hunting its my 3rd season and i was just wondering what you guy and gals do you scent proof your gear, i usually wash my clothes in the no scent wash and dry them with the earth sent dryer sheets, than before i hunt i spray all my gear with the scent killer
thanks

Last edited by lonewolf1990; 10-14-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Spike

I hunt the wind or sometimes if the wind is really swirly I sit if front of a the camp fire and let the smoke hit me for about 10mins.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:05 AM
Spike

You sound like you are doing the right things. Don't be afraid to spray your climber and makes sure your weapon is free of excessive lubricants such as cleaner and such.

I really like the Dead Down Wind system. The best scent free products I have used. My success of seeing deer has risen since using.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:15 AM
Typical Buck

store your gear in plastic bags, it will keep the earht scent in and keep all the other stuff out
Old 10-15-2010, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

I wash everything with no scent detergent, then i put them in the dryer, then i spray them down with scent killer, and then they go in a plastic box with a few dirt wafers. i stopped using plastic bags because they would have a weird plastic smell to them.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

The only thing I would add is don't wear your hunting gear to the field unless you can cover your seat and put a rubber floor mat down. If your like me you drive the same car or truck everyday and it gets pretty smelly even if you have leather seats after a day at work. Don't make the mistake of thinking that your ever scent free because I personally do not believe that is possible. We can tone down our scent with good prep before going out and minimize our odor with rubber boots sprays and such but we do still have a scent no matter what. We exchange our scent or mix our scent with the scent killers and Sent Loc products but the deer still smell those odors. The wind is King and as little movement as posssible is Queen. Also for your breath carry some slices of apple with you it helps and begin with a baking soda type toothpaste. I believe in doing all one can to eliminate strong scent but don't stop thinking when you spray or put on carbon gear these animals are not stupid like some say. If they were not a challenge to hunt who would hunt them? Good Hunting To Ya!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by doetrain
The only thing I would add is don't wear your hunting gear to the field unless you can cover your seat and put a rubber floor mat down. If your like me you drive the same car or truck everyday and it gets pretty smelly even if you have leather seats after a day at work. Don't make the mistake of thinking that your ever scent free because I personally do not believe that is possible. We can tone down our scent with good prep before going out and minimize our odor with rubber boots sprays and such but we do still have a scent no matter what. We exchange our scent or mix our scent with the scent killers and Sent Loc products but the deer still smell those odors. The wind is King and as little movement as posssible is Queen. Also for your breath carry some slices of apple with you it helps and begin with a baking soda type toothpaste. I believe in doing all one can to eliminate strong scent but don't stop thinking when you spray or put on carbon gear these animals are not stupid like some say. If they were not a challenge to hunt who would hunt them? Good Hunting To Ya!
you can't eliminate all scent. the mythbusters tried it by dressing in rubber suit that was deemed scent free, rubber boots, a gas mask hat filters air going out and duct taped the seems. the dog still found him. also they tried it with all the scent killer soaps and sprays with scentlok clothing. the dog had no trouble finding him
Old 10-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Mythbusters, that's a great show. I need to see that episode, how long ago was it on?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe
you can't eliminate all scent. the mythbusters tried it by dressing in rubber suit that was deemed scent free, rubber boots, a gas mask hat filters air going out and duct taped the seems. the dog still found him. also they tried it with all the scent killer soaps and sprays with scentlok clothing. the dog had no trouble finding him
Which gives credence to what I believe about scent eliminator products because if a dog can smell you with all that stuff utilized think about how good can a deer smell you. The main thing is to use the wind to your advantage and you do want to keep you r gear as clean of odors as possible. I wash my clothes in baking soda powder with no fabric softener and tumble dry with no dryer sheets. Many times if I have a good hike into my stand I will carry them and put them on at my tree to keep from getting them all sweat-ed up. You can use the scent eliminator products if you believe they help. I also hunt as high as possible trying to keep as much of my scent above them as possible.

Last edited by SJAdventures; 10-15-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

I saw that eppisode of mythbusters. They had Jamie dress up in not 1 BUT 2 suits, one carbon activated, the outter rubber. Both had hoods. Before that he washed in all of the scent free products and rinsed with fresh water then sprayed with scent killer. Two people who had on their own suits dressed him and tapped up ALL zippers or seams so that Jamie didn't touch anything. Rubber boots, gloves, gas mask with carbon activated filter, EVERYTHING. Then they sprayed him down with MORE scent killing sprays and concoctions. They didn't give the dog a smell of him in the suit. It was the same shirt they had used with all the tests that had his man scent on it. It was pretty amazing! I figured for sure they would loose his trail but nope! Dog ran right to him!
That there made me a NON believer in all the scent killer hype. I agree you can tone it down some with precaution but there isn't a need to spend lots of money to do it. Clothes washed in baking soda, kept seperate from other clothes in bags or boxes. I always use something natural (pine cones or leaves) from the area im hunting in the bags or boxes. And Im not a freak about it. I havn't done any of that this year and saw deer every day I have been in the woods. I have been winded once because the stupid wind shifted 180 degrees. Stupid wind. hahahaha

Last edited by jerrrrstanley; 10-15-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.