Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lets Get This Straight

Old 10-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default Lets Get This Straight

Before I go on today's filming adventure I want to get something straight. Some might think I am against camo because I said it does not work on deer. But that is because deer do not see like we do. However camo is effective on coyotes, cats, turkeys, and other animals that have a more fine tuned sense of vision. When it comes to hunting deer only..... camo patterns all blur into a solid. So yes I do wear camo into the field but it's not to "hide" from the deer. It is to try to conceal myself from the creatures that see more like we do. You guys and gals have a great day and get out into the wild at every opportunity!
Live it up! Doug

Last edited by kswild; 10-14-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

An interesting Informal camo study!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no way for you to know exactly how a deer sees. What you are saying is pure speculation, unless you used to be a deer. You cannot say for sure that whatever we wear blends into a solid mass of color to them. I think if that were the case, and I said this earlier, they'd be stumbling through the woods like idiots, and they'd miss branches with their mouths when they go to nibble on buds, etc.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
There is no way for you to know exactly how a deer sees. What you are saying is pure speculation, unless you used to be a deer. You cannot say for sure that whatever we wear blends into a solid mass of color to them. I think if that were the case, and I said this earlier, they'd be stumbling through the woods like idiots, and they'd miss branches with their mouths when they go to nibble on buds, etc.
There is research on the subject.... do some! But to make it a little easier for you. Here Proof that what I'm saying is not "pure speculation"
Live it up! Doug

Last edited by kswild; 10-14-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

i have read in the latest issue of whitetail that in a resent study that deer can see allot better than they thought. the most revolting color to a deers eye is blue. thats what the study said. but i do agree with 7.6 to a extent. never know unless u were a deer in a past life
Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

This is exactly why i believe all of our camo is too dark. I wear 'natural gear' camo as much as i can.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Spike

Not trying to be a smart arse,,, but I think if your 20-30 feet in a tree who cares what your wearing? An eagle, hawk whatever are very good hunters and they are a solid color.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by country_guy9734
i have read in the latest issue of whitetail that in a resent study that deer can see allot better than they thought. the most revolting color to a deers eye is blue. thats what the study said. but i do agree with 7.6 to a extent. never know unless u were a deer in a past life
No way! im not say that I know what a deer sees but I am saying that whitetail mag said that because they are sponsored by a camo company and want you to spend more money.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
Before I go on today's filming adventure I want to get something straight. Some might think I am against camo because I said it does not work on deer. But that is because deer do not see like we do. However camo is effective on coyotes, cats, turkeys, and other animals that have a more fine tuned sense of vision. When it comes to hunting deer only..... camo patterns all blur into a solid. So yes I do wear camo into the field but it's not to "hide" from the deer. It is to try to conceal myself from the creatures that see more like we do. You guys and gals have a great day and get out into the wild at every opportunity!
Live it up! Doug
Statement of fact or opinion. No way you could know and you can read all you want to about it, you still can't prove it.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
There is no way for you to know exactly how a deer sees. What you are saying is pure speculation, unless you used to be a deer.
I'm going to have to whip out my BS card here. All joking aside, this statement isn't entirely true. Nobody here has ever been a virus either, but scientists have pretty well figured out how they work.

Rods are rods, and cones are cones. Biologists have a really good understanding of how mammalian vision works, and the basic parts are fairly similar. Just like a mechanic who knows his engine parts can figure out a new engine fairly easily, a biologist can make some logical conclusions on how vision in other mammals works. The lack of certain cones, for instance, tells you what colors they have trouble detecting. Therefore, it's inaccurate to say we have 'no idea' what deer can see. Unless deer are aliens that have developed wildly different senses, we have a pretty good idea of what they can see based on basic biology.

But regarding camo, I'm going to have to agree with kswild...to a point. Some camo patterns don't work well once you get beyond close distances. The busier-looking, 'photo quality' camo patterns integrate into solid colors when viewed from a distance. That's why the military never uses those patterns. Larger blobs and mixtures of light on dark (think military camo) work better for breaking up the human form. The modern military 'digital' camo patterns are meant to solve the integration problem by being able to scale up or down to blend into the background (ie. work well both close up and at a distance). I believe it's based on fractal theory...small patterns that work at close range integrate into larger patterns that break up your outline at greater ranges.

All that said, IIRC a deer's sense of sight is about 3rd, behind scent and hearing, in their toolset for detecting predators. If that's true, concentrating on hunting the wind and staying quiet rank up there with selection of camo. Camo is merely meant to break up your outline, so a cheap set of military fatigues probably works as well as the hideously expensive set up designer camo.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 10-14-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.