HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Input on strategies for this property (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/331804-input-strategies-property.html)

Gladius87 10-13-2010 12:31 PM

Input on strategies for this property

I have been hunting this property since 2000, taking 2 years off during college. However, I feel like when I have success it is due to luck. I have a very hard time deciding where to set up in certain wind conditions or which areas are better morning/evening spots. I would like your input on how you would hunt this property based on this aerial map. The area is made up of hardwoods with bush honeysuckle throughout. There are some red oak trees, a pecan tree or two, and the woods are bordered by cut corn to the west and (hopefully cut by now) beans on all other sides. I am allowed to hunt within the yellow box. Red dots indicate trees that I have marked for climbing stand. Blue dot indicates ladder stand. White lines indicate known deer trails. The prevailing winds range from NNW to SSW. The neon green line is a spot where I jumped some bedded deer last time I went out. They do not normally bed there, but have started to for some reason. I have a ground blind and climbing stand at my disposal as well.

timbercruiser 10-13-2010 03:52 PM

Is that a 10 acre tract? I wouldn't try to put too many different stands on that small of area, just a couple for different wind. You have it covered it looks like.

travis_ranger2000 10-13-2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gladius87 (Post 3701666)
I have been hunting this property since 2000, taking 2 years off during college. However, I feel like when I have success it is due to luck. I have a very hard time deciding where to set up in certain wind conditions or which areas are better morning/evening spots. I would like your input on how you would hunt this property based on this aerial map. The area is made up of hardwoods with bush honeysuckle throughout. There are some red oak trees, a pecan tree or two, and the woods are bordered by cut corn to the west and (hopefully cut by now) beans on all other sides. I am allowed to hunt within the yellow box. Red dots indicate trees that I have marked for climbing stand. Blue dot indicates ladder stand. White lines indicate known deer trails. The prevailing winds range from NNW to SSW. The neon green line is a spot where I jumped some bedded deer last time I went out. They do not normally bed there, but have started to for some reason. I have a ground blind and climbing stand at my disposal as well.

If I were hunting that area, before the rut I would be hunting where the finger meets the bigger woods on the field side, during the rut I would be hunting the oppisite side on the field (corners) with lots of tinks, and using your rattling horns and grunt tube.

Gladius87 10-13-2010 06:43 PM

The total property is about 35 acres, but I would say I am allowed to hunt 10 of it. It's my uncle's land and my cousin just built a house on the north side by the road... and they restricted where I am allowed to hunt because of it. I'm afraid he is one day gonna say I can't hunt there anymore at all. I need to either get out of school and buy some property or make a good friend in So. Ill. that has some good land.

The hard part about hunting this spot is that it is a transition area. There are tons of deer that pass through, as evidenced by deer sign and sightings. However, it is catching them passing through at the right time that is tough. I'm not sure where primary bedding areas are. I do have a good handle on prime food sources though.

Patrick Eubanks 10-14-2010 07:02 AM

I agree with Travis Ranger!