HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What is considered baiting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/331792-what-considered-baiting.html)

david33 10-13-2010 10:17 AM

What is considered baiting

What is considered baiting on public land? I emailed the folks at NC Wildlife, but haven't gotten a response back yet. I know thatputting out corn, salt block, mineral block, etc is considered baiting. What about using doe p, doe in estrus, fox urine, stuff like that? Anyone from NC know, or anybody really. i dont want to be illegal and get a ticket. First time hunting gameland (public). Sorry for all the post, just trying to learn.

travis_ranger2000 10-13-2010 10:25 AM

Deer Baiting

Originally Posted by david33 (Post 3701581)
What is considered baiting on public land? I emailed the folks at NC Wildlife, but haven't gotten a response back yet. I know thatputting out corn, salt block, mineral block, etc is considered baiting. What about using doe p, doe in estrus, fox urine, stuff like that? Anyone from NC know, or anybody really. i dont want to be illegal and get a ticket. First time hunting gameland (public). Sorry for all the post, just trying to learn.

Last yr here in Indiana, I used Deer Cane as a cover scent, (as of now the only scent I have used is Tinks 69) putting it in a spray bottle and spraying myself with it. Talking with a IDNR at my local bow shop he said it was legal, but using it on the ground as an attractant is illegal.

doetrain 10-13-2010 10:48 AM

In Indiana if you have an acorn tree to your front but have clearer shooting lanes to your rear you cannot pick up acorns and put them in a different spot to your rear. This is baiting and illegal even though the acorns are on the ground near by.

Rhody Hunter 10-13-2010 10:58 AM

that is rediculous that you can't even move acorns. what next you can't bring an apple or peanut butter crackers with you to eat ?

v757b 10-13-2010 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter (Post 3701611)
that is rediculous that you can't even move acorns. what next you can't bring an apple or peanut butter crackers with you to eat ?

Can't let them crumbs hit the ground. That's baiting, and the law will be on you like a bluetick! :rolleye0011::biggrin:

bigbulls 10-13-2010 11:59 AM

Don't you hate it when you drop that big ole 64 ounce jar of peanut butter no sooner than you get it open to eat? I hate it when that happens.

But honestly I think that most states consider bait as an unnatural food source like feeder corn, peanut butter, mineral block, etc... (I would lump food plots into this category IMO). I don't know of any state that considers urine bait.

PY Antlers 10-13-2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by doetrain (Post 3701603)
In Indiana if you have an acorn tree to your front but have clearer shooting lanes to your rear you cannot pick up acorns and put them in a different spot to your rear. This is baiting and illegal even though the acorns are on the ground near by.

Thats absured! What Liberal politician thought of that

DocD 10-13-2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by david33 (Post 3701581)

I would be surprise if the NC Wildlife would consider a salt or mineral block bait. Also I wouldn't think using any of the scent's would be considered "Baiting" I would think you could get a copy of the states hunting regulations and I am sure "Baiting" would be outlined for you. Good Hunting. Doc

*twodogs* 10-13-2010 01:47 PM

A game warden told me once to use this as a guideline:
Bait = "Natural or unnatural food sources that have been put down by a person in a place where that food source would not exist had it not been for the actions of the person." He told me he asks that question to himself and the hunter when he comes upon a situation that is questionable.

Doe pee and other scents are considered attractants where I am from and they are legal - I would think they would be legal in NC as well because a deer isn't going to consume doe pee.

Finally, use your own conscious - if it seems wrong it probably is wrong.

Patrick Eubanks 10-13-2010 03:48 PM

Dont throw anything on the ground for the deer to eat and you will be fine.

doetrain 10-13-2010 05:29 PM

I called DNR and asked them about moving acorns and other nearby natural food sources around because I really did not know if this was illegal baiting. Well they said it was so I'm glad I asked and I'll not play squirel and be moving any nuts around.

SchuLace 10-13-2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by *twodogs* (Post 3701718)
A game warden told me once to use this as a guideline:
Bait = "Natural or unnatural food sources that have been put down by a person in a place where that food source would not exist had it not been for the actions of the person." He told me he asks that question to himself and the hunter when he comes upon a situation that is questionable.

I would assume a food plot would be considered baiting based on this definition.

7.62NATO 10-14-2010 04:39 AM

LEGALLY, it's whatever your local authorities say it is.

ACTUALLY...and this is just my opinion...it is ANYTHING you do to attract deer, PERIOD! I don't care if it's a salt lick, a doe decoy, CREATING a funnel, planting food plots, using scents and sounds...WHATEVER. To me, it's all the same. The point is to lure deer into coming to you by ALTERING what would naturally occur IF YOU WEREN'T THERE.

Now, I'm not saying one way or another that there is a problem, or not, with any of the above. I'm just saying they are ALL a means to the same end.

bigbulls 10-14-2010 05:15 AM

ACTUALLY...and this is just my opinion...it is ANYTHING you do to attract deer, PERIOD! I don't care if it's a salt lick, a doe decoy, CREATING a funnel, planting food plots, using scents and sounds...WHATEVER. To me, it's all the same. The point is to lure deer into coming to you by ALTERING what would naturally occur IF YOU WEREN'T THERE.

Now, I'm not saying one way or another that there is a problem, or not, with any of the above. I'm just saying they are ALL a means to the same end.
I agree with this 100%.

kswild 10-14-2010 06:58 AM

Don't have to worry.... We have common sense and baiting is legal in Kansas.. Plenty of room for ya'll to move in!
Live it up! Doug

newguy23 10-14-2010 07:10 AM

Really, I have never understood why baiting is "illegal". We are over-run with deer in many states and I would think that the respective DNRs would encourage any ethical solutions to harvesting more deer. All of the rumors of increased disease transmissions, reliance on baiting as a primary food source, etc. are just not scientifically founded. For those who want a more challenging hunt, more power to you.

I bait, because it is legal and it allows me to bring deer into a more ethically killing zone. Not to mention at least get them to stop for a shot. My BIGGEST concern when hunting is making an ethical kill (period). Baiting assists this task.

I do not hunt over a feeder or put 100's of pounds of corn out... I ussually spread about 25 pounds of corn around my stand in piles where I have clearings (open shots). I might through a couple apples around for good measure.

Anyway, I know I just hijacked this thread, but I needed to get that off my chest...

fishtaconc 10-14-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO (Post 3702103)

Couldnt have said this better myself. But to add to it baiting DOES NOT guarantee a dead deer. To the OP scents,decoys are fine just not anything edible.

BarnesX.308 10-14-2010 09:15 AM

How about rattling or a grunt call? Same as a decoy. You might be pushing it a little.

If you were fishing in a no-bait tournament, would they DQ your lures because you are altering what the fish would naturally do?

Stonewall308 10-14-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO (Post 3702103)
The point is to lure deer into coming to you by ALTERING what would naturally occur IF YOU WEREN'T THERE.

I guess my bullet or arrow is a lure then, because they sure alter what would naturally occur if I wasn't there. If I weren't there, the animal wouldn't get shot.

"Bait" means eating. It isn't baiting to use attractants, even if they smell like food, so long as the animal doesn't actually ingest it. Mineral licks are baiting because the animals eat the minerals.

7.62NATO 10-14-2010 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308 (Post 3702271)
How about rattling or a grunt call? Same as a decoy. You might be pushing it a little.

If you were fishing in a no-bait tournament, would they DQ your lures because you are altering what the fish would naturally do?

I dunno, can you spray some kind of attractant on the lures? I'll tell you what, I've caught a lot more fish on lures than on food bait. But using fishing as an example is kinda apples to oranges. The fish are in the water. You need something to get them out. Deer are in the woods and fields. You can be in the woods and fields too. And you can shoot them. It would be pretty tough to spear fish except in very shallow water. And good luck with a fishing tournament where everyone's doing that.

I'm not trying to get nit picky on semantics. If you want to get picky about it, if you use "bait" as a noun, then it is technically food. If you use "bait" as a verb, then it means to entice and lure. Kinda like when you talk about a chick that's trying pull you in...she's "baiting" you. Kind of a good analogy, don't you think [ESTRUS]?

What I am basically trying to say is that, to me, there is very, very little difference between baiting and luring. You might say, "Well, what about timed feeders?" Or, "You can put a lot of food or a salt lick down and it will last for a long time. Rattling or using scents happens in the moment." Valid points, but there ARE timed mocked scrapes and other things. But , in a way, you're still pulling one over on a deer by putting things that don't go there, there. And they're falling for it.

Again, I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any one method...that isn't the point. But it DOES burn me up when one hunter who uses one form of LURE or another hypocritically thumbs their nose at another hunter for using another form of lure. Or bait. Or whatever.

7.62NATO 10-14-2010 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stonewall308 (Post 3702398)
I guess my bullet or arrow is a lure then, because they sure alter what would naturally occur if I wasn't there. If I weren't there, the animal wouldn't get shot.

Huh? Arrows and bullets lure a deer into coming to you...while they're still alive??